Understanding Z2 Graded Vector Spaces: Definition and Examples

In summary, a graded vector space can be decomposed into subspaces of degree 0 and 1. This means that the direct sum of vector spaces is a graded vector space.
Silviu
Hello! I just started reading about ##Z_2## graded vector spaces (and graded vector spaces in general) and I want to make sure I understand from the beginning. So the definition, as I understand it, is that a graded vector space can be decomposed into subspaces of degree 0 and 1. So ##V=V_1 \oplus V_2##. I am confused about this, does this mean that ##R^2=R \oplus R## is a ##Z_2## graded vector space? And ##R^3=R^2 \oplus R##, too? And in the case of ##R^3##, does it matter the order of ##R## and ##R^2##? I see that one can define the parity reversed spaced, in which ##V_1## and ##V_2## are interchanged, so I guess it makes a difference, but I am confused why, as I thought that the direct sum is commutative. Can someone please explain this to me, in not advanced terms as I really know nothing about graded vector spaces, yet (I would really appreciate a clear example, too, in case what I said above is wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I just started reading about ##Z_2## graded vector spaces (and graded vector spaces in general) and I want to make sure I understand from the beginning. So the definition, as I understand it, is that a graded vector space can be decomposed into subspaces of degree 0 and 1. So ##V=V_1 \oplus V_2##. I am confused about this, does this mean that ##R^2=R \oplus R## is a ##Z_2## graded vector space? And ##R^3=R^2 \oplus R##, too? And in the case of ##R^3##, does it matter the order of ##R## and ##R^2##? I see that one can define the parity reversed spaced, in which ##V_1## and ##V_2## are interchanged, so I guess it makes a difference, but I am confused why, as I thought that the direct sum is commutative. Can someone please explain this to me, in not advanced terms as I really know nothing about graded vector spaces, yet (I would really appreciate a clear example, too, in case what I said above is wrong).
A graded vector space is just a direct sum of vector spaces, any. The direct summands being called homogenous of a certain degree. So there is not much gain in this concept. Things become different if we consider algebras, i.e. vector spaces with a multiplication. In this case it is interesting how multiplication of homogenous elements behave: in case ##V^i \cdot V^j \subseteq V^k## and ##i +j = k ## is according to the group structure of ##\mathbb{Z}_2##, we speak of a ##\mathbb{Z}_2-##graded algebra.

The Graßmann- and tensor algebras over a vector space are an example of a ##\mathbb{Z}## grading, the super algebras in string theory are an example of ##\mathbb{Z}_2-##graded (Lie) algebras.

Wikipedia has a good overview with links to certain examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graded_(mathematics)

fresh_42 said:
A graded vector space is just a direct sum of vector spaces, any. The direct summands being called homogenous of a certain degree. So there is not much gain in this concept. Things become different if we consider algebras, i.e. vector spaces with a multiplication. In this case it is interesting how multiplication of homogenous elements behave: in case ##V^i \cdot V^j \subseteq V^k## and ##i +j = k ## is according to the group structure of ##\mathbb{Z}_2##, we speak of a ##\mathbb{Z}_2-##graded algebra.

The Graßmann- and tensor algebras over a vector space are an example of a ##\mathbb{Z}## grading, the super algebras in string theory are an example of ##\mathbb{Z}_2-##graded (Lie) algebras.

Wikipedia has a good overview with links to certain examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graded_(mathematics)
Thank you for this! I looked at the article on Wikipedia. My main question is, i guess, as far as I understand any vector space with a countable basis seems to be a graded vector space. So, what is the difference between a vector space with a countable basis and a graded vector space? Also, about the part with defining the parity reversed spaced for ##Z_2## graded vector space, I am not sure I understand why you need that, as the direct sum is commutative. Is it just convenient from a notation point of view (when you define grade reversing transformation for example) or is there anything deeper to it?

Silviu said:
Thank you for this! I looked at the article on Wikipedia. My main question is, i guess, as far as I understand any vector space with a countable basis seems to be a graded vector space. So, what is the difference between a vector space with a countable basis and a graded vector space?
Any decomposition into a direct sum is technically a grading. The question is whether you want to have one of the many, that are possible, be labeled as grading, i.e. what you're going to achieve. As said, usually there is a multiplication involved.
Also, about the part with defining the parity reversed spaced for ##Z_2## graded vector space, I am not sure I understand why you need that, as the direct sum is commutative.
Same as before. As long as you only consider addition, there won't by any gains from the grading. The moment you start multiplying, commutativity isn't any longer guaranteed.
Is it just convenient from a notation point of view (when you define grade reversing transformation for example) or is there anything deeper to it?
Grading is always about the multiplication structure, not the addition. At least I cannot think of any useful application of a graded vector space. At least a sort of operation on it should be necessary in my opinion.

1. What is a Z2 graded vector space?

A Z2 graded vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a vector space over a field of characteristic 2, along with a grading or labeling of the vectors with elements of the additive group Z2 (the integers modulo 2). This grading allows for a decomposition of the vector space into subspaces based on the parity (even or odd) of the grading.

2. How is a Z2 graded vector space different from a regular vector space?

In a regular vector space, the vectors are not labeled or graded in any particular way. However, in a Z2 graded vector space, the vectors are labeled with elements of Z2, allowing for a decomposition of the vector space into subspaces based on the parity of the labeling. This grading also affects the multiplication and addition operations in the vector space, making it different from a regular vector space.

3. What is the significance of Z2 grading in vector spaces?

Z2 grading allows for a more detailed understanding and analysis of vector spaces. It can reveal underlying symmetries or patterns in the vectors and can also be used to define important concepts such as superalgebras and supergeometry. Z2 graded vector spaces also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of supersymmetry.

4. Can Z2 graded vector spaces be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Z2 graded vector spaces have applications in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems related to symmetries, differential equations, and coding theory, among others.

5. Are there any other types of graded vector spaces besides Z2 graded vector spaces?

Yes, there are other types of graded vector spaces, such as Z-graded vector spaces (where the grading elements come from the integers), Q-graded vector spaces (where the grading elements come from the rationals), and Lie superalgebras (a type of graded vector space with additional algebraic structure). Each of these types has its own unique properties and applications.