1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some small linear algebra questions

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hello, I just have some small questions about linear algebra that are giving me some slight grief.

v1cwv.jpg

I know how to find the number of free variables and the basis of the solution space.

But what is confusing me is the A transpose... When doing the problem, would I firstly take the transpose of A and then row reduce the matrix to find the free variables? or would I do it the other way around?

Secondly..

7spz2.jpg

I've solved part a)..

But I am stuck on part b) I have no idea where to start the problem or what to actually use to actually attempt solving this part. So a suggestion as to what I can actually do, would be very helpful!

thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    For the last part, one idea that comes to mind is that [itex]b_1 \in W[/itex] and [itex]b_2 \in W^{\perp}[/itex] means that [itex]b_1 = a \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 3 \\ 4 \end{pmatrix} + b \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] for some [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and similarly [itex]b_2[/itex] would be a linear combination of the basis you found for [itex]W^{\perp}[/itex].

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Well I think I've solved it, finally... If I'm correct, I got

[itex]b = \begin{pmatrix} 2\\ 5 \\ 7 \\ 10 \end{pmatrix} = b_1 \begin{pmatrix} 8.1 \\ 10.2 \\ 12.3 \\ 14.4 \end{pmatrix} + b_2 \begin{pmatrix} -6.1 \\ -5.2 \\ -5.3 \\ -4.4 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Also can anyone explain the first question to me? Thanks, in advance!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook