1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something about tangent vector

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    hey there, i got stuck on an question here:
    Parameterise the following paths, in the dirction stated, and hence find a tagent vector(in the same dirction) to each point on the paths.
    (a)The upper part of the circled centred at (0,0) containing the points (-2,0) and (2,0) going anticlockwise.
    (b) the circle centred at (1,2,5) of radius three in the plane z=5 going clockwise (looking down the z axis)

lol,really need help on these two questions. Thx everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    Can you tell us what you have attempted? In particular, do you have a clear understanding of what "tangent vector" means?

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    honestly, i attempt another 3 similar questions but really have no idea on that one. all my understanding is that tangent vec. is the trace of a curve at given points...something like that hum? not sure if my understanding is correct...lol

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4
    A tangent vector is essentially a vector that is tangent to the graph of your curve. Surely you know what "tangent" and "vector" mean. If you think of your curve as a position function (written in the form of a vector; see below), the tangent vector is equivalent to the velocity vector. The problem requires that you come up with a set of parametric equations x(t) and y(t) that would describe the position of a point on the specified curves. Then, using this position function, determine the tangent vector.

If [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex] is the position vector, then

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = x(t) \vec{\mathbf{i}} + y(t) \vec{\mathbf{j}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook