Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Something wrong with my TI-89 Titanium

Tags:
  1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    There is something wrong with my TI-89 Titanium. When I enter factor(x^2-5x=6), it displays the answer as 6.17481 E12/ (2)^11 * (5)^13.
    I've checked all the mode settings and they seem to be same as the initial settings. Any idea what could be wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    It displays answers in numerical values instead of answers with variables when I try to integrate or differentiate functions too. It has never happened before.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4
    The problem seems to be that you have stored some value to x. What you may need to do is clear all those variables (there is an option from the homescreen under F1, I believe). Basically, you may have done something like this:

37→X

So then factor(x^2-5x=6) would do something like this in the background:
    (x+1)(x-6)

But when it displays it, since x has an actual value, it computes (37+1)(37-6). In your case, x is clearly not 37, but I am sure you get the idea XD

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    Yes, that's it! I cleared all the variables and it works fine! Thank you very much! <3

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6
    That is great to hear! That is a problem that always trips me up, too, because I like to store values to variables.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook