Can Heartbreak Lead to True Love?

• Thread starter etc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that the writer's girlfriend may be planning to break up with them. The girlfriend talked to her friend Christine about the relationship and Christine convinced her that the writer is not right for her. The girlfriend could not explain the reasoning behind this, but it seems there may be someone else (Wyatt?) who is better for her. The writer is unsure if they should bring this up with their girlfriend or just terminate the relationship.
etc
Fri Jan 7, 2005 4:19 pm PST
p.s. I talked to Christine last night... we had a good talk. I asked her about Adam, but she still couldn't be told about the reasoning behind it -- just that he isn't right for me and that I needed to stop wasting my time on him when there are better things for me (Wyatt?). They said that they were very happy with how I worked through everything, too.. that I didn't just accept it on a whim, but that I gave it some extreme thought before I decided what I would do. I don't know, it was really hard... but I guess that aspect of my life is _that_ important. Lol, I guess I passed, eh :p?

--------------------------------

alright, can someone offer a translation for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say it means your girlfriend has found someone more fun and exciting than you and you better do something quick. You probably don't have a chance though, not if you regularly throw out snippets of conversation with no context and expect people to make sense of it.

lol, maybe you're right. maybe you're just being absolutely mean. but maybe you're right. :P

yeah, but i coudln't make sense of my snooping, and i was looking for a second opinion. i suppose you're right tho.

etc said:
lol, maybe you're right. maybe you're just being absolutely mean. but maybe you're right. :P

yeah, but i coudln't make sense of my snooping, and i was looking for a second opinion. i suppose you're right tho.

I guess that depends...Are you Adam or Wyatt?

Here's a hint, if that was an intercepted conversation of your girlfriend's, and you felt the need to start snooping in on her conversations out of some sort of suspicion, you're already in trouble. And if she's having these "cloak and dagger" conversations ("still couldn't be told the reasoning behind it") then she's up to something, and the tone of that doesn't sound like it's just planning a surprise birthday party. Once there are trust issues in a relationship, whether deserved or not, things go downhill pretty quickly.

Otherwise, without any other context, I couldn't even begin to guess at meaning. Your response to tribdog leads me to think he guessed right that it was your girlfriend you were snooping on.

Wait so you are a guy or a girl? Sorry but you wrote, "[...] just that he isn't right for me and that I needed to stop wasting my time on him[...] ." Is this what your friend, who is a girl said, or...?

Well it looks like someone is telling you this through an email or I am or something. I don't know anymore, too early, time for breakfast.

yeah it's what she said matt, and it's an accidental interception of her and her best friend talking (about me, I'm adam).

"then she's up to something, and the tone of that doesn't sound like it's just planning a surprise birthday party."
that actually made me lol. anyway -- yeah .. i don't trust her anymore. it's funny; because I'm her boyfriend of two years .. one time before we broke up and that absolutely killed me. i think there's a repeat performance coming up and i hardly care ... and i laughed at your surprise birthday comment.

i'm just wondering if i should bring this up, or just terminate the relationship. i know i appear like the big snoop and probably the bad guy, but that's really not the case. what she's said is pretty ****ty for a few reasons i won't bother and say.

but .. i don't know who christine is, i know who wyatt is (a bit of a goof, too), and i don't know why she refers to christine as "they", so it's all weird .. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Ok so you intercepted this somehow, not important how. The person who wrote that is your girlfriend, and her friend that she talked to is Christine?

If what I wrote is true, then this would be my understanding of it:

Your girlfriend (the writer of that message) sent it to one of her friends who then sent it to you. Your girlfriend had a talk with Christine about Adam (you). Christine helped convince your girlfriend that you (Adam) are not right for her (your gf). Your gf could not tell Christine about the reasoning behind it (that sounds wierd). Also, there may be better things for her (Wyatt?). Not sure about they, but it sounds like your girlfriend has been wanting to break up with you, and has been talking with her friends about it for quite a while. (We all know how girls are though, my sister talked about breaking up with this guy for months before she finally did). It sounds like she did not want to originally break up with you and that it was a tough decision and that is life.

Summary: Sounds like your girl is going to break up with you.

edit... I also agree with Moonbear. Once you lost the trust you might as well terminate it.

mattmns said:
Summary: Sounds like your girl is going to break up with you.

Yep, with the added context, it sure sounds that way...and it seems you're the only one left she hasn't told! Since it seems you've been contemplating breaking up anyway, and she's apparently on the same page, just get it over with. No need to mention the interception of the message, I don't think she's going to ask too many questions if she's already thinking about the Wyatt fellow, and mentioning it will only make you seem the bad guy. Just give her some simple explanation, like you feel you've been drifting apart, and it's time for both of you to move on.

I can't believe I got it right.
you accidently found this by what means? hacked her password didn't you. guess what, you're the bad guy.

tribdog said:
you accidently found this by what means? hacked her password didn't you. guess what, you're the bad guy.

Well, when people ask him who did the breaking up, he can honestly give the polite answer, "It was a mutual decision." If she's talking to everyone behind his back about him, she's not exactly wearing a halo either.

1. What is a "quick favour" in this context?

A "quick favour" in this context typically refers to a small task or request that can be completed quickly and easily.

2. Why do people use the phrase "sorry" before asking for a quick favour?

The word "sorry" is often used as a polite way to ask for something, especially if the person asking feels like they may be inconveniencing the other person.

3. Is there a specific type of favour that is usually asked for using this phrase?

There is no specific type of favour that is usually asked for using this phrase. It can vary depending on the situation and the person asking for the favour.

4. Can I refuse a quick favour if I am busy or unable to do it?

Yes, you are not obligated to fulfill a quick favour if you are busy or unable to do it. It is always okay to politely decline or suggest an alternative solution.

5. What is the best way to respond to someone asking for a quick favour?

The best way to respond is to consider the request and your own availability, and then politely communicate your decision. If you are able to do the favour, simply say yes and complete it as soon as possible. If you are unable to do the favour, politely decline and offer an alternative solution or suggest a different time when you may be able to help.