Sorting Algorithm to Rearrange Zeros at End - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with sorting a list of numbers where all zeros should be at the end while preserving the order of the non-zero numbers. The suggested solution involves using two indices and iterating through the list once to swap non-zero numbers with zeros. The conversation also mentions the use of this sorting algorithm in solving a determinant problem.
p1ayaone1
I just wrote a big long post on this algorithm I'm working on to solve the determinant of an nxn matrix, but I got booted before I could post so it's all gone! I'm brand new to this forum.

As I was writing, I solved most of the problem, but I'm still stuck with a sorting algorithm that I can't work out.

0 3 2 0 8 4 7 0 9 0

should be sorted so that all the zeros come at the end. I would like to (but don't absolutely *need* to) preserve the order of the nonzero numbers:

3 2 8 4 7 9 0 0 0 0

The rub is that the first element (and last) is allowed to be zero. Is there some way I could avoid writing two algorithms?

if( first element is zero )
do a swap
else
so the sorting

And at that, how do you sort something like this? It doesn't look like there is a nice efficient way to do this, I have to pass over the list up to n^2 times:

loop over list or until all nonzero elements have been found
{
loop over list
{
find nonzero element that hasn't previously been found
find zero element
swap them if the nonzero element comes before the zero element
}
}

anyone got a better way to do this?

if someone wants to know more abt the determinant problem, let me know and I'll share in another thread

thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Seems like you can do this in O(n) time, since you're not really interested in sorting any of the non-zero numbers, and there's only one dealybob that you're effectively stripping off and putting at the end. Iterate through the list only once. Keep one index of where you are in the list, and one separate index of where you put the last non-zero item. Go from left-to-right and each time you come across a non-zero item at index1, copy it to the spot at index2, and then change index1's spot to a zero, increasing index2 when finished. Then, when index1 gets to the end of the list, just fill the remaining spots (everything from index2 to the end of the list) with 0's, and you should be all set.

DaveE

Thanks DaveE,

You're right that it's done on O(n) and about the two indices that I need to keep track of. If index1 is keeping track of the listwise iteration, then index2 will be that index with which I will swap. I do need to make sure that the element at index2 is nonzero, however, which requires a nested search of O(n-index1).

I can't give a copy of my code because it just won't make any sense (the "list" is acutally the ith column of an nxn matrix) but the stripped-down version is something like

Code:
for( int index1=0; index1<N;, index1++)
{
  int index2 = index1;
  if( list[index1] == 0 )
  {
    while( list[index2] == 0 )
    {
      index2++;
      if( index2 == N-1 )
        return;
    }
  list.swap(index1, index2);
  index2--;
}

1. What is a sorting algorithm?

A sorting algorithm is a step-by-step procedure used to rearrange a collection of data into a specific order. This is typically done to improve the efficiency of searching or organizing the data.

2. Why would a sorting algorithm be needed to rearrange zeros at the end?

In some cases, it may be necessary to have all the zeros at the end of a collection of data. This could be for data analysis or to make it easier to identify certain patterns or trends within the data. A sorting algorithm can efficiently rearrange the data to meet this requirement.

3. How does a sorting algorithm work?

A sorting algorithm works by comparing elements within the data and rearranging them based on a specific criteria. This can involve swapping elements or moving them to different positions in the data until the desired order is achieved.

4. Are there different types of sorting algorithms?

Yes, there are many different types of sorting algorithms, each with its own unique approach and efficiency. Some common examples include bubble sort, selection sort, insertion sort, and quicksort.

5. What are the advantages of using a sorting algorithm?

Sorting algorithms can greatly improve the efficiency of searching and organizing data. They can also help identify patterns and trends within the data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make decisions based on the information. Additionally, sorting algorithms are essential in many computer science applications and are constantly being improved and optimized.