Sound intensity as a function of distance from source

In summary: Sorry about the error in the earlier comment.In summary, the intensity of a sound wave at a fixed distance from a speaker vibrating at 1.24 kHz is .388 W/m^2. When the frequency is reduced to 2.64 kHz and the displacement is doubled, the intensity quadruples to 1.552 W/m^2.
glasshut137

Homework Statement

THe intensity of a sound wave at a fixed distance from a speaker vibrating at 1.24 kHz is .388 W/m^2.
Calculate the intensity if the frequency is reduced to 2.64 kHz and the displacement is doubled.

used I=.5p(w^2)(A^2)v for the initial and the new intensity. I ended up with
4I0(f/f0)^2=I plugging in the numbers didn't get me the right answwer. can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
glasshut137 said:

Homework Statement

THe intensity of a sound wave at a fixed distance from a speaker vibrating at 1.24 kHz is .388 W/m^2.
Calculate the intensity if the frequency is reduced to 2.64 kHz and the displacement is doubled. /QUOTE]

Could you check the values you've posted here? You're saying that the frequency was reduced from 1.24 kHz to 2.64 Hz? Is this second frequency correct?

yeah the problem is stated that way which is why i think i keep getting the wrong answer.

You still haven't shown how you actually did the calculation or what the answer is claimed to be. The equation you have is for the power of a wave (I presume the 'p' represents density of the medium); since the distance is kept fixed, the intensity will change in the same proportion as the power. With both the amplitude and the frequency doubled, the power of the wave and the intensity at the specific distance should quadruple.

dynamicsolo said:
With both the amplitude and the frequency doubled, the power of the wave and the intensity at the specific distance should quadruple.

Well, that's teach me to write some of these comments too late at night. Doubling each of those two factors will increase the power (and intensity at fixed distance) by a factor of 4, so doubling both will give an increase by a factor of 16.

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the energy of sound waves at a particular point. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and represents the amount of sound energy passing through a unit area in a given period of time.

How does sound intensity change as distance from the source increases?

As distance from the source increases, sound intensity decreases. This is because the same amount of sound energy is being spread out over a larger area, leading to a decrease in intensity. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that sound intensity decreases by a factor of four for every doubling of distance from the source.

What factors can affect sound intensity at a given distance from the source?

The main factors that can affect sound intensity at a given distance from the source include the power of the sound source, the direction of the sound waves, the surrounding environment (e.g. presence of obstacles or reflective surfaces), and atmospheric conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity, wind).

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which consists of a microphone, amplifier, and display unit. The microphone converts sound waves into electrical signals, which are then amplified and displayed as a sound level in decibels (dB). Other methods of measuring sound intensity include using a microphone and a computer with sound analysis software, or using mathematical formulas based on the inverse square law.

What are some real-world applications of understanding sound intensity as a function of distance from source?

Understanding sound intensity as a function of distance from source is important in a variety of fields, including acoustics, engineering, and environmental science. It can be used to design effective noise control measures, evaluate the impact of noise pollution on human health and the environment, and optimize the performance of sound systems in various settings such as concert halls and industrial facilities.