Discover the Science of Sound Wave Cancellation | From Physics Forums

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of sound wave cancellation. Some argue that two identical sound waves will cancel each other out, while others argue that this violates the first law of thermodynamics. The discussion also touches on quantum physics and the difference between theoretical ideals and physical reality. The conversation ends with a playful exchange about "mastering the game" and making moves.
sid_galt
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=787788#post787788"

Lapin Dormant said:
Interference isn't the goal, cancellation is, then there is no more noise, but, as it is stated above, it would be diffcult, at best, I already knew that, so now, this thread seems to be getting 'hi-jacked' to this topic, so, as to discourage that, I will cease, now.
Thanks

Lapin Dormant said:
If you would like to start a new thread, the waves need be equal and Opposite each other, in waveform.

When two waves cross each other's path, even if they are identical, they won't just disappear. They'll set up standing waves where they are interfering provided they are identical. Beyond that they will continue on their path. There will be no sound wave cancellation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That A pressure wave will not cancel, in absolutia I would agree, except in mathematics where 'absolutia' is found, in reality? NOT absolutely, But Mostly.

Where does the energy in the sound waves go?

Cancels out, In Math its' a Minus one, meeting a Positive one, and the result is Zero, in Reality 0.99999∞+1 ≡ 0.99999∞-1 as Individual Event histories, hence There is a Resultant of One, just how large that one is, is another story altogether.

But, that is Reality.

If a Negative trough meets it's opposite and equal Peak they will (should) cancel out, How 'perfectly-well' that can be done, in reality is 'fun' for some folks.

Lapin Dormant said:
Cancels out, In Math its' a Minus one, meeting a Positive one, and the result is Zero, in Reality 0.99999∞+1 ≡ 0.99999∞-1 as Individual Event histories, hence There is a Resultant of One, just how large that one is, is another story altogether.
But, that is Reality.

You're joking right?

Two individual sound waves transport a net positive energy. Their energies can't just cancel out.

They are waveforms, they have shape, they can be equated as 'equal and opposite' in 'shape and form' as to cancel.

The reality one is simply quantum physics, how finely it needs be cut as to ensure that everything remains idiosyncratic, and asynchronus, both are Math, so Both show Ideals.

IN Physical reality I have watched it on television, it works, Almost totally.

Is this going to continue on, forever?

Lapin Dormant said:
They are waveforms, they have shape, they can be equated as 'equal and opposite' in 'shape and form' as to cancel.

They will not cancel. Try imagining two waves of equal amplitude and frequency with a phase difference of 180 degrees. They will create standing waves where they intersect. At other points, they will simply continue along their path.

What you are suggesting would violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Lapin Dormant said:
The reality one is simply quantum physics, how finely it needs be cut as to ensure that everything remains idiosyncratic, and asynchronus, both are Math, so Both show Ideals.
Quantum Physics has nothing to do with sound waves, atleast not on macroscopic levels.

IN Physical reality I have watched it on television, it works, Almost totally.

TV =/= reality.

Is this going to continue on, forever?

If you want to quit, say so. I like to have the last word though. :smile:

O.K. I'll play your game .. .. ..my rules though.

{Oh yes, they are Pressure waves, Not electrical or EMR right?}

To play this game, first you must "Master the Game" by making a Move, to prove you are a Master, though, you must not make any moves.

LD
G'ee head .. .. .. ..

Lapin Dormant said:
O.K. I'll play your game .. .. ..my rules though.
{Oh yes, they are Pressure waves, Not electrical or EMR right?}
To play this game, first you must "Master the Game" by making a Move, to prove you are a Master, though, you must not make any moves.
LD
G'ee head .. .. .. ..

I don't accept your rules.

Don't post off-topic comments please

Last edited:

What is sound wave cancellation?

Sound wave cancellation, also known as active noise control, is a technique used to reduce or eliminate unwanted sound waves by creating an opposite sound wave to cancel it out.

How does sound wave cancellation work?

Sound wave cancellation works by using a microphone to detect unwanted sound waves, and then a speaker emits an equal and opposite sound wave to cancel out the original sound.

What are the applications of sound wave cancellation?

Sound wave cancellation is commonly used in noise-cancelling headphones and in soundproofing rooms. It is also used in industrial settings to reduce noise pollution.

What are the limitations of sound wave cancellation?

Sound wave cancellation is most effective for low-frequency sounds and is less effective for higher frequencies. It also requires a power source to produce the opposite sound wave, which can be limiting in certain applications.

Can sound wave cancellation completely eliminate all sound?

No, sound wave cancellation can only cancel out specific frequencies and is limited by the accuracy of the microphone and speaker systems. It cannot completely eliminate all sound, but it can significantly reduce unwanted noise.