1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves

1. May 27, 2007 #1
    Let's say that you're waking down a hallway heading toward your next class, and somebody inside calls to you from the room--one has a low bss voice and another has a high soprano voice. They both call to you with the same volume. Which one would you be able to hear better?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Higher pitched sounds tend to be more attention-getting to humans. I have a hunch that they also take corners better because of the shorter wavelength, and thus disperse better throughout a building, but I don't know for sure.
    From personal experience, I know that I would hear the high-pitched one better.

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Agreed, although in seismology low frequency waves attenuate less quickly and also tend to travel faster because they sample deeper (and faster) earth material.

5. May 27, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, I certainly agree that bass or even infra-sonic frequencies carry far better. Hence whalesongs being detectable half-way around the planet, or earthquakes showing up all the way on the other side.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook