Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves

1. May 27, 2007 #1
    Let's say that you're waking down a hallway heading toward your next class, and somebody inside calls to you from the room--one has a low bss voice and another has a high soprano voice. They both call to you with the same volume. Which one would you be able to hear better?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Higher pitched sounds tend to be more attention-getting to humans. I have a hunch that they also take corners better because of the shorter wavelength, and thus disperse better throughout a building, but I don't know for sure.
    From personal experience, I know that I would hear the high-pitched one better.
  4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Agreed, although in seismology low frequency waves attenuate less quickly and also tend to travel faster because they sample deeper (and faster) earth material.
  5. May 27, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Oh, I certainly agree that bass or even infra-sonic frequencies carry far better. Hence whalesongs being detectable half-way around the planet, or earthquakes showing up all the way on the other side.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?