Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soundless Music Shown to Produce Weird Sensations: Reuters

1. Sep 8, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=3401200

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

AKA "wind"

4. Sep 8, 2003 #3
    This one reminds me of the thread dealing with high performance car stereo systems. I had read where some enthusiasts thought it a pointless drain on your system to produce/reproduce sounds below the threshold of human hearing. Other enthusiasts thought it still made sense, claiming that even if you couldn’t hear the sound your body could still feel it.

Maybe those darn kids are at it again.

5. Sep 9, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Different issue entirely, boulder. You can most certainly feel low frequency sound. Pop Jurrasic Park into your DVD player and crank it up (if you have a decent sound system). Generally the frequency response in a good sub goes down to 20hz or so.

6. Sep 9, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Organ music 'instils religious feelings'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3087674.stm

7. Sep 10, 2003 #6

russ_watters

I've heard of but never experienced that. Must be pretty neat.

8. Sep 10, 2003 #7
    When I was stationed in Hawaii, a fellow Marine had a cd of a volcanic eruption. When he played it through his his Cerwin Vegas at "11" you would hear nothing for the first two minutes or so. As it got closer to the audible part I could feel a slight excitement at my core and would have a feeling like, "LET'S GET OUTA HERE!" almost like when you KNOW something is wrong but you can't say exactly what. Drinking beer from a bottle made your lips tickle. The MP's canines would be visibly upset and there was a noticeable lack of birdsong. After a few minutes we would have to go back inside and put things back where the were originally because they "walked". Never thought much about it until now. Thanks guys.

9. Sep 10, 2003 #8

russ_watters

Any idea where I could get that from?

I have a cd called "The Big Picture" which has some great high power movie sound/music clips. One is the launch sequence from Apollo 13. The CD comes with a warning about possible damage to your speakers due to the low frequncy sounds in some of the clips. I had my speakers sitting on my desk at school and they used to "blow" things across the desk - papers, pencils, coffee cups, etc.

BRB, I need to go buy a new (bigger) sub...

10. Sep 10, 2003 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?