1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources to learn about Rocket Science?

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    I know calculus, multivariable calculus and classical mechanics.
    So, I'm thinking about doing a project about rockets, so I'm looking for sources to learn about Rocket Science.
    Do you know good sources, like courses, books... for a 15 years old?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

here or here google lists a whole bunch of sites. Pick one you like. For the physics, google some more.
    The saying "it's not rocket science" to indicate that the target area is simple gives the impression that rocket science is very high-brow. It isn't. Your classical mechanics is a real good basis.

(All assuming you won't be able to play with real rocket fuel in your project)

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4
    Ok, thanks for your sources! But, I want to do a project about Microrockets. Do you know any sources about this? I'll be very very gratefull.

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5
    I'll be so gratefull for any source about Micro-rockets, becouse when I search about this in Google some strange things about biology appears!
    I've seen the TEDed talk about Micro-rockets.

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

8. Sep 11, 2015 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

9. Sep 11, 2015 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

10. Sep 13, 2015 #9
    how about this?
    http://rocketcontest.org/

It seems like it's an american rocketry competition for high school students and even Obama attended.

Scroll down and you can see the map with all the locations of the teams, look for a participating team near your location and click on the dot to get the contact information.

11. Sep 22, 2015 #10
    Yes, do try to see if there is a TARC team near you…or start one! And you may find a team, or graduates thereof, who will mentor you. Where are you located?

Our Girl Scout troop started this a few years back and now one of the girls will be going to college for Aeronautical Engineering. They qualified for Nationals twice, in Virginia, hundreds of smart folks blasting rockets-SO SO cool!

Once upon a time I got interested in building speakers-I pursued it obsessively, to the point of photocopying an 8" stack of journal articles at a university and then reading and trying to understand everything.

this magazine might be of interest:
    www.nar.org/SPR/

Somehow, read all the books you can and try to shoot off actual rockets as much as you can. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook