Is the Sun's Movement Different in the Southern Night Sky?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of spending time in Tasmania and observing the sun setting in the southwest and rising in the southeast, contrary to the expected west to east pattern. The speaker also wonders if this is observed in the northern hemisphere as well.
jfoldbar
hi.
i am from sydney australia. over the xmas holidays i spent some time in tasmania, and had a very memorable night sleeping on a 1300m high mountain with 360° veiws and crystal clear night.
i stayed awake all night hoping to see the southern lights but no luck. however i did see something else that spun me out a little.

in sydney in summer, the sun sets in the west about 8pm and rises in the east about 5.30 am, as would be expected.
however from the mountain in tasmania i observed the sun setting about 9.30 pm in the SW and rising about 4.30 am in the SE.
also in the twilight time after the sun had set, the glow on the horizon was visible from the direction of due south, around to the direction of sw.
and then the same thing again as the sun was rising the next morning.

as a young teenager i was slightly interested in astronomy, so i know how to find south and expected the days to be a little longer.
i didnt expect though to see the sun setting in the SW and rise in the SE. i thought it would set in the west and rise in the east.

when i think about it though it does make sense, I am just wondering, do people in the northern hemisphere observe the same thing.
i.e., do you see the sun rise in the NE and set in the NW in summer?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
jfoldbar said:
when i think about it though it does make sense, I am just wondering, do people in the northern hemisphere observe the same thing. i.e., do you see the sun rise in the NE and set in the NW in summer?
Yes. There are definitely parts of my home that only get direct sunshine on the longest days of the year.

Borg said:
Yes. There are definitely parts of my home that only get direct sunshine on the longest days of the year.
thats not what i asked

jfoldbar said:
thats not what i asked
Yes. There are definitely parts of my home on the NW and NE sides that only get direct sunshine on the longest days of the year.
Better?

Likes Bystander
here is my question again.
in summer, do you see the sun rise in the north east and set in the north west?

jfoldbar said:
in summer, do you see the sun rise in the north east and set in the north west?
Yes. Latitude is 40 N.

What is the best time to observe the Southern night sky?

The best time to observe the Southern night sky is during the winter months, typically between late June and early August. This is when the Milky Way is most visible and there are fewer clouds and light pollution.

What are some notable constellations in the Southern night sky?

Some notable constellations in the Southern night sky include the Southern Cross, Centaurus, Scorpius, and the Magellanic Clouds. These constellations are only visible in the Southern Hemisphere.

Can I see the same stars in the Southern night sky as in the Northern night sky?

No, the stars visible in the Southern night sky are different from those in the Northern night sky. This is due to the Earth's rotation and tilt, which changes the perspective from which we see the stars.

Are there any special events or phenomena to look out for in the Southern night sky?

Yes, the Southern night sky is home to some unique events and phenomena such as the Southern Lights (Aurora Australis), which can be seen in the southernmost parts of the world. The Southern Taurids and Eta Aquarids meteor showers are also visible in the Southern night sky.

What can I do to enhance my viewing experience of the Southern night sky?

To enhance your viewing experience of the Southern night sky, it is recommended to find a location with minimal light pollution, such as a dark sky reserve or a remote area. Using a telescope or binoculars can also help you see more detail in the stars and constellations.