1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

southern night sky

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    hi.
    i am from sydney australia. over the xmas holidays i spent some time in tasmania, and had a very memorable night sleeping on a 1300m high mountain with 360° veiws and crystal clear night.
    i stayed awake all night hoping to see the southern lights but no luck. however i did see something else that spun me out a little.

in sydney in summer, the sun sets in the west about 8pm and rises in the east about 5.30 am, as would be expected.
    however from the mountain in tasmania i observed the sun setting about 9.30 pm in the SW and rising about 4.30 am in the SE.
    also in the twilight time after the sun had set, the glow on the horizon was visible from the direction of due south, around to the direction of sw.
    and then the same thing again as the sun was rising the next morning.

as a young teenager i was slightly interested in astronomy, so i know how to find south and expected the days to be a little longer.
    i didnt expect though to see the sun setting in the SW and rise in the SE. i thought it would set in the west and rise in the east.

when i think about it though it does make sense, im just wondering, do people in the northern hemisphere observe the same thing.
    i.e., do you see the sun rise in the NE and set in the NW in summer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Yes. There are definitely parts of my home that only get direct sunshine on the longest days of the year.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3
    thats not what i asked

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

Borg

Gold Member

Yes. There are definitely parts of my home on the NW and NE sides that only get direct sunshine on the longest days of the year.
    Better?

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5
    here is my question again.
    in summer, do you see the sun rise in the north east and set in the north west?

7. Jan 11, 2017 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. Latitude is 40 N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted