1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Span question with Restrictions

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let U be the span of
    [ 0 ] [ 2 ]
    [ 1 ] and [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ] [ -1]
    [ 4 ] [ 1 ]

Give conditions on a, b, c and d so that [a b c d] (transposed) is in U (as in, give restrictions that are equations of only a, b, c and d.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've set up the problem to set the two given vectors multiplied by scalar x and y, yielding four equations:
    2y = a,
    x = b,
    2x - y = c, and
    4x + y = d.

Is this the right first step to take? After that, I take x or b as a free variable, and try to rewrite the other equations in terms of b, yielding:

2y = a, b = b, 2b - y = c, and 4b + y = d.

After this, however, I am stuck. Any pointers? Did I set up the problem the right way?

Edit: I also know that [a b c d] must be a linear combination of the two given vectors if it is in the span. However, if it is a linearly independent set, the trivial zero vector could be matched with [a b c d], although I am pretty sure the answer isn't that simple.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi jberg074! :smile:

You also know that 2y=a, so [itex]y=\frac{a}{2}[/itex]. Substitute that into the equations

2b - y = c
    4b + y = d.

and you'll find your conditions on a,b,c and d.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Is the answer as simple as this?
    a=6b-c
    b=b
    c=2b-a/2
    d=4b+a/2

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure where you got the a=6b-c, actually. But the two last equations are what you need. These give necessary and sufficient conditions for something to be in the span. In general, the span is given by

[tex]\{(a,b,2b-a/2,4b+a/2)~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

6. Jun 29, 2011 #5
    [tex]\{(a,b,2b-a/2,4b+a/2)~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex][/QUOTE]

I used other questions to eliminate variables and to try and get a in terms of the other. However, in the text above, shouldn't "a" be replaced by "a/2"?

7. Jun 29, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I used other questions to eliminate variables and to try and get a in terms of the other. However, in the text above, shouldn't "a" be replaced by "a/2"?[/QUOTE]

No, we have concluded that

a=a
    b=b
    c=2b-a/2
    d=4b+a/2

So, we will have

[tex](a,b,c,d)=(a,b,2b-a/2,4b+a/2)[/tex]

8. Jun 29, 2011 #7
    Ah, I understand now. I wasn't exactly sure what the question was asking for at first; thank you very much for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook