1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity - 2 observers - 2 frames of reference

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An observer in frame S standing at the origin observes two flashes of colored light separated spatially by Δx = 2300 m. A blue flash occurs first, followed by a red flash 5 µs later. An observer in S ' moving along the x axis at speed v relative to S also observes the flashes 5 µs apart and with a separation of 2300 m, but the red flash is observed first. Find the magnitude and direction of v.

2. Relevant equations
    I believe the necessary equation is v = Δx/Δt

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I initially thought I would simply have to plug in to the above equation Δx = 2300 m and Δt = 5 μs. But now I am realizing that would not give me the velocity of the observer.
    To find the velocity of the observer would I have to know the distance he traveled?
    And then use Δt = 5x10^-6?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You titled this "special relativity" but you haven't used any formulas from relativity.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    I figured I could use x = γ(x' + vt') {The lorentz equation for distance}
    And then since I am given the spatial separation Δx,
    Δx = γ(xo' + vt2' - γ(xo' + vt1'
    Then I could solve for v, but that still did not work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook