1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity: flashes of light

1. Nov 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a frame of reference A lights are on the x axis at x = D and x = -D, where D = 0.6 x109. They flash simultaneously at t = 0.

There's also a frame of reference A' moving at v = 0.8c.

i) Where and when do the flashes happen in A'?

ii) Therefore when would observers at the origins of A and A' see the light?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i) Well, I have to add D to the location in x to find the location in x'. Then I have to add something else. But I'm pretty confused about what to add. As far as an observer in A' is concerned, I think the light has to travel x' = D + vt'? But I can't use that because I don't know t' or x', so that's probably wrong...
    In A, both flashes happen at t = 0.6 x109 / 3x108 = 2 seconds. So I have t' as well:
    t' = γt where γ is the Lorentz factor, so maybe I do have t' actually, I think it's 10/3.

Essentially, my question for the first part is whether x' = D + vt' is right.

And then the problem is that haven't I already worked out when the observer at A sees the light? It's at t =2. And for the observer at the origin of A', at t = 10/3?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2
    What does the Lorentz Transformation tell you about where and when the flashes occur in A'?

Chet

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    Using x' = γ(x - vt) , t=0, x' = -1 x 109m for the bulb at -D, and 1 x 109 for the bulb at D.

And as to when they happen - that should be at two different times. Using t' = γ( t - ##\frac{vx}{c^2}##), and subbing in t = 0,
    t' = -2.67 s for the bulb at +D, and 2.67 s for the bulb at -D. I think.

So if I'm in frame F', it looks like F is moving, doesn't it? And that means anything measured in F will appear shorter to me, and seem like it happened either later/ earlier, depending on the direction of movement?

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4
    And about the second part: I'm pretty sure the time at the origin of A is easy to calculate. It's just t = D/c and is the same for both bulbs.

As for at the origin of A', for the bulb at D: That person thinks the flash happened at t = 2.67, and that the light travelled for t = ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}##- 2.67 s, but I'm really not 100% sure about subtracting 2.67 seconds! Should I be adding instead? Or just doing nothing? Does that take account of the fact that F' is moving towards the bulb?

And for the bulb at -D: it travels for ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}## + ##\frac{x'}{v}## + 2.67? Maybe? Struggling to get my head round this.

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5
    Forget about the F frame of reference for now. In the F' frame of reference, the two flashes occur at -1 x 109m, + 2.67 s and 109, -2.67 s. Since they are traveling at the speed of light in F', at what value of t' do each of these flashes reach x' = 0?

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    t' = ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}- 2.67 ## for x' = D?

##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c} + 2.67 + \frac{x'}{v}## for x = -D. Possibly? Not sure I've got the adding/ subtracting of 2.67 the right way round. Or that I'm accounting for the movement of the frame correctly!

8. Nov 16, 2015 #7
    Your answer for -2.67 is correct. Since frame F' doesn't know that it is moving, your answer for +2.67 is not correct. Lost the x'/v.

9. Nov 16, 2015 #8
    F' thinks the light bulb at -D is moving away from it though, doesn't it? At the v = 0.8c assigned to F' relative to F? Although by that logic I should also have subtracted x'/v for x' = D as well. That's seriously confusing.

10. Nov 16, 2015 #9
    Or is the -2.67 term accounting for the movement?

11. Nov 16, 2015 #10
    Once the flash occurs at the indicated location and time, it doesn't matter what the light bulb does next. It is the light flash that is traveling toward x' =0 at the speed of light; the light bulb has nothing to do with this.

12. Nov 16, 2015 #11
    Oh, I get it!

Thanks for wading through my messy first post and replying. I really appreciate it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted