1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity, please explain the meaning of this problem

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The reference frame K' moves in the positive direction of the x-axis of the frame K with a relative velocity V. Suppose that at the moment when the origins of coordinates O and O' coincide, the clock readings at these points are equal to zero in both frames. Find the displacement velocity v of the point (in the frame K) at which the readings of the clocks of both reference frames will be permanently identical. Demonstrate that v<V.

The meaning of the problem
    Ok, the problem is that I don't understand the meaning of the problem. Does it mean to find the velocity of a point (v) such that the clocks infront of each other in that point's frame show same time, but that seems me impossible, if not then what the problem may mean.
    I only want to know the meaning of the problem, please don't solve it.

Problem is 1.355 from "Problems in General Physics - I. E. Irodov". And answer is v = (1-(1-(V/c)2)1/2)c2/V
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I think it means that you need to find the speed of an observer, relative to K, at which the observer would calculate the clock rates in K and K' to be the same.
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    Yup, thnx turin, that is what it meant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?