Special Relativity with 2 light beams moving towards each other

In summary: It's equal to c. This is because c^2/c^2 equals 1, so the equation simplifies to 2c/(1+1), which is equal to c. Therefore, the correct answer is c.
Felipe Doria

Homework Statement

If one light beam is heading toward you from the right, and another is heading toward you from the left, how quickly from the perspective of the right-moving beam is the left-moving beam approaching it?

1) 0
2) c
3) 1.5c
4) 2c

Homework Equations

(v+w) / (1 + cw/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in c into the equation for both v and w but it gives me (c + c) / (1 + c2/c2) which equals 2c. It is one of the possible answers but I know nothing can go faster than c so I'm thinking the answer is probably c. Am I right? If so, why? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Felipe Doria said:

Homework Statement

If one light beam is heading toward you from the right, and another is heading toward you from the left, how quickly from the perspective of the right-moving beam is the left-moving beam approaching it?

1) 0
2) c
3) 1.5c
4) 2c

Homework Equations

(v+w) / (1 + cw/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in c into the equation for both v and w but it gives me (c + c) / (1 + c2/c2) which equals 2c. It is one of the possible answers but I know nothing can go faster than c so I'm thinking the answer is probably c. Am I right? If so, why? If not, what am I doing wrong?

(c+c)/(1+c^2/c^2) isn't equal to 2c.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It also describes the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

2. How does special relativity apply to 2 light beams moving towards each other?

In this scenario, the two light beams are traveling at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed in the universe. According to special relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that even if the two light beams are moving towards each other, they will both measure the speed of light to be the same.

3. What is the significance of 2 light beams moving towards each other in special relativity?

This scenario helps to illustrate the concept of time dilation, which is a key aspect of special relativity. As the two light beams approach each other, they will experience time dilation, meaning that time will appear to pass slower for an observer in one beam compared to an observer in the other beam.

4. Can two objects travel faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe and cannot be exceeded. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, making it more and more difficult to accelerate further.

5. How does special relativity impact our everyday lives?

Special relativity may seem like a theory that only applies to objects traveling at extremely high speeds, but it actually has practical applications in our daily lives. GPS systems, for example, rely on the principles of special relativity to accurately calculate location and time. Additionally, special relativity has led to advancements in technology, such as particle accelerators and nuclear power plants.