1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity with Three reference frames

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the laboratory frame, event 1 occurs at x = 0 light-years, t = 0 years. Event 2 occurs at x = 6 light-years, t = 10 years. In all rocket frames, event 1 also occurs at the position 0 light-years and the time 0 years. The y- and z- coordinates of both events are zero in all frames.
    a) In rocket frame A, event 2 occurs at time t’ = 14 years. At what position x’ will event 2
    occur in this frame?
    b) In rocket frame B, event 2 occurs at position x’’ = 5 light-years. At what time t’’ will
    event 2 occur in this frame?
    c) How fast must rocket frame C move if events 1 and 2 occur at the same place in this
    rocket frame?

2. Relevant equations
    s^2 = c^2Δt^2-Δx^2
    t = (1/√1-v^2/c^2)t'

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part A, I did c^2Δt^2-Δx^2 = c^2Δt'^2-Δx'^2. Because the everything in the rocket frames start at 0, then the entire left side becomes 0 and I get. √c^2 * (14)^2 = Δx' which is 4.2*10^9 or 14c.
    I did the same thing for part B. The c^2Δt^2-Δx^2 = c^2Δt''^2-Δx''^2 and ended up with √5/c = 1.29*10^-4 = Δt''.
    For part c, I know that I need to use t = (1/√1-v^2/c^2)t' . However, if I set t=0, then I get v rocket = c ---which shouldn't be right. It should be some fraction of c. My question is if if I am looking at a third reference frame, then do I use the values for time and position from the one before it? So to find the v in rocket frame C, I need to only use the data from rocket frame B?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi scienceLilly75! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    No …

i] if x is in light-years, and t is in years, then c = … ? :wink:

ii] the separation (c2t2 - x2) has to be between events 1 and 2, so it isn't 0 ! :smile:

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    But at the beginning the time and position of the event is 0, so the left side has to be zero right?

Or do I need to find spacial separation between A and B, then spacial separation between B and C?

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi scienceLilly75! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    sorry, but that doesn't even make sense …

A B and C are frames, and there's no separation between frames (spatial or otherwise)

separation is between two events

so which two events are you going to use? :smile:

(oh, and c = … ? :wink:)

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    I am confused. I understand that there is no separation between frames but between events in frames. In that case, I am stuck. The only thing I know about the frame C is that event one occurs at t=0, x=0. If the events occur on the same place on the rocket, then x' also equals 0. But then that will leave me with t' = 0 using the spacial relativity equation. if t'=0, then it is not moving. Where am I going wrong?

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi scienceLilly75! :smile:
    Why do you say "in frames"? Separation is between two events, period. :wink:

Use event 1 and event 2. :smile:

8. Jan 29, 2013 #7
    So to find the speed, I have to use info from event 1 and 2 how they appear in frame c? then I can use v = x/t?

9. Jan 29, 2013 #8
    Make up a table. Label the rows Laboratory, Rocket A, Rocket B, Rocket C. Label the columns Event 1 Time, Event 1 Distance, Event 2 Time, Event 2 distance. Fill in the table with any information you have available. If there is information missing, fill in any algebraic variable name that you choose. Add a 5th column to the table in which you calculate the following quantity

((Event 2 Time) - (Event 1 Time))2 - ((Event 2 Distance) - (Event 1 Distance))2. This quantity must be the same for all rows of the table.

10. Jan 29, 2013 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why do you need for speed for part (a) ? :confused:

what is the separation between events 1 and 2 ?​

11. Jan 29, 2013 #10
    Question 3 is a little ambiguous. I guess it is asking how fast rocket C is traveling relative to the laboratory frame of reference. The key to answering this question is recognizing that rocket C is physically present at both events.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook