Special Second Order Ordinary Diff. Equation

In summary, the speaker is studying from a book called "Green's Function With Applications" and is trying to find the general solution to a differential equation, but is unsure of how to solve it due to its unfamiliar form. The equation includes a function P which is only dependent on x and a constant k. The speaker is also trying to solve the homogeneous equation in order to construct the green function. The suggested method of solution is through infinite series.
Andreol263
Hello guys, I'm studying from Green's Function With Applications by Duff, and he finds the general solution(homogeneous sol.) to this differential equation:
BBg5D4l.png
, but i I've never seen a equation like this before, how can i manage to solve this equation??

Physics news on Phys.org
Andreol263 said:
Hello guys, I'm studying from Green's Function With Applications by Duff, and he finds the general solution(homogeneous sol.) to this differential equation:
BBg5D4l.png
, but i I've never seen a equation like this before, how can i manage to solve this equation??
It depends on what P is. I assume that k is a constant. Otherwise, you have a fourth-order, non-homogeneous ODE.

P is only function of x, and k is indeed a constant, but I'm trying to solve the homogeneous eqn, that it's part of constructing the green function of this equation, how i solve the homogeneous one??

Andreol263 said:
P is only function of x, and k is indeed a constant, but I'm trying to solve the homogeneous eqn, that it's part of constructing the green function of this equation, how i solve the homogeneous one??
If P is a function of x, what sort of function is it? The general method of solution to these types of ODEs is by infinite series.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SeriesIntro.aspx

1. What is a special second order ordinary differential equation?

A special second order ordinary differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves only the first and second derivatives of a single variable. It is typically written in the form y'' = f(x, y, y'), where y' is the first derivative and y'' is the second derivative.

2. How is a special second order ordinary differential equation solved?

There are various methods for solving a special second order ordinary differential equation, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

3. What are the applications of special second order ordinary differential equations?

Special second order ordinary differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model systems that involve acceleration, such as motion of objects and oscillations. They can also be used in chemical reactions and other natural phenomena.

4. Can a special second order ordinary differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a special second order ordinary differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because there are typically two arbitrary constants that can be adjusted to produce different solutions. The specific solutions will depend on the initial conditions given for the equation.

5. How does a special second order ordinary differential equation differ from a general second order ordinary differential equation?

A special second order ordinary differential equation is a specific type of second order ordinary differential equation that has the form y'' = f(x, y, y'). In a general second order ordinary differential equation, the coefficients of the derivatives may vary and there may be additional terms involving higher derivatives or other variables. Special second order equations are often easier to solve than general second order equations due to their simpler form.