Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Specific heat capacity (Calorimetry)

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Specific heat capacity (Calorimetry)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a driver brakes an automobile, friction between the brake disks and the brake pads converts part of the car's translational kinetic energy to internal energy. If a 1500 kg automobile traveling at 32 m/s comes to a halt after its brakes are applied, how much can the temperature rise in each of the four 3.5 kg steel brake disks? Assume the disks are made of iron [tex](c_{p} = [/tex] 448 J/kg•°C) and that all of the kinetic energy is distributed in equal parts to the internal energy of the brakes.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]c_{p,x}m_{x}T_{x}[/tex] = [tex]c_{p,y} m_{y} T_{y}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start with this problem... A little push and I can do the rest, but...

[tex]c_{p,x}m_{x}T_{x}[/tex] = [tex]c_{p,y} m_{y} T_{y}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    Bump. Can anyone help me out?

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    Well that's not really the right equation involving specific heat you're looking at

You want the one that involves energy. You know the kinetic energy of the car from 1/2*mv^2, and it's given that all that energy becomes heat

A 4th of that goes into each 3.5kg brake, so do you have a formula that links specific heat, mass, temperature, and heat? (yes you do)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]PE + [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = 0?

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    Well you could infer the equation from the units if you didn't know off hand(energy/mass*temp

c=Q/(m*dT) where dT is the change in temperature and Q is the amount of heat gained(which you find from assuming all the kinetic energy becomes heat)

7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    Thanks. I got it. It's 120 degrees Celsius, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook