1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity (Calorimetry)

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Specific heat capacity (Calorimetry)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a driver brakes an automobile, friction between the brake disks and the brake pads converts part of the car's translational kinetic energy to internal energy. If a 1500 kg automobile traveling at 32 m/s comes to a halt after its brakes are applied, how much can the temperature rise in each of the four 3.5 kg steel brake disks? Assume the disks are made of iron [tex](c_{p} = [/tex] 448 J/kg•°C) and that all of the kinetic energy is distributed in equal parts to the internal energy of the brakes.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]c_{p,x}m_{x}T_{x}[/tex] = [tex]c_{p,y} m_{y} T_{y}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start with this problem... A little push and I can do the rest, but...

[tex]c_{p,x}m_{x}T_{x}[/tex] = [tex]c_{p,y} m_{y} T_{y}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    Bump. Can anyone help me out?

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    Well that's not really the right equation involving specific heat you're looking at

You want the one that involves energy. You know the kinetic energy of the car from 1/2*mv^2, and it's given that all that energy becomes heat

A 4th of that goes into each 3.5kg brake, so do you have a formula that links specific heat, mass, temperature, and heat? (yes you do)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]PE + [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE + [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = 0?

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    Well you could infer the equation from the units if you didn't know off hand(energy/mass*temp

c=Q/(m*dT) where dT is the change in temperature and Q is the amount of heat gained(which you find from assuming all the kinetic energy becomes heat)

7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    Thanks. I got it. It's 120 degrees Celsius, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?