Specific Heat Capacity of metal in water

In summary, an unknown metal with a specific heat of 3.6 J/g-1/C-1 and a mass of 150g is added to a copper container (85g) filled with water (105g), both at an initial temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The final temperature of the water, container, and metal can be calculated using the equation E=Cm(t1-t2), where E is the change in energy, C is the specific heat, m is the mass, and t1 and t2 are the initial and final temperatures. The specific heats of water and copper are 4.2 J/g-1/C-1 and 0.4 J/g-1/C-1, respectively. The units
jendrix

Homework Statement

An unknown metal with C=3.6 Mass=150g Temp=160c is added to copper container(85g) filled with water(105g) both with an initial temp of 20c

I have to find the final temp of water,container and metal

Homework Equations

none given but I assume it will be E=Cm(t1-t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just going over it at the moment and wanted to know if that is enough information to work out the answer.The wording of the question is a bit vague and I'm not sure if I should be using information from the question that came before.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jendrix said:

Homework Statement

An unknown metal with C=3.6 Mass=150g Temp=160c is added to copper container(85g) filled with water(105g) both with an initial temp of 20c

I have to find the final temp of water,container and metal

Homework Equations

none given but I assume it will be E=Cm(t1-t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just going over it at the moment and wanted to know if that is enough information to work out the answer.The wording of the question is a bit vague and I'm not sure if I should be using information from the question that came before.

Thanks

You'll be needing the specific heats of water and copper.

[EDIT:] Also, what are the units associated with the C of the unknown metal?

Last edited:
Sorry must have missed these off

Unknown =3.6
Water =4.2
Copper =0.4

jendrix said:
Sorry must have missed these off

Unknown =3.6
Water =4.2
Copper =0.4

You should indicates the units associated with those numbers. Otherwise how is one to know if they are cal/gram/K, J/kg/K, J/mol/K, kJ/kg/K,...

Sorry it's j/g-1/c-1

Just to confirm, is all the info I've listed enough to solve the problem?

Thanks

jendrix said:
Just to confirm, is all the info I've listed enough to solve the problem?

Thanks

Yes.

1. What is specific heat capacity and how is it measured?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured by dividing the amount of heat absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature.

2. Why is it important to know the specific heat capacity of metal in water?

The specific heat capacity of a metal in water is important because it can help determine how quickly the metal will heat up or cool down when placed in water. It is also important in industrial processes where precise temperature control is necessary.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of metal in water differ from other substances?

The specific heat capacity of metal in water is typically lower than that of other substances, meaning it requires less heat to raise its temperature by the same amount. This is due to the high thermal conductivity of metals, which allows heat to transfer quickly between the metal and the water.

4. Can the specific heat capacity of metal in water change?

The specific heat capacity of metal in water is a constant value for a specific metal at a given temperature. However, it can vary slightly depending on the purity and composition of the metal, as well as the temperature of the water.

5. How is the specific heat capacity of metal in water used in real-world applications?

The specific heat capacity of metal in water is used in a variety of industries, such as in cooking, metallurgy, and HVAC systems. It is also important in understanding the effects of climate change on ocean temperatures, as water's high specific heat capacity helps regulate the Earth's temperature.