Specific Heat Capacity of metal in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
jendrix
Messages
120
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


An unknown metal with C=3.6 Mass=150g Temp=160c is added to copper container(85g) filled with water(105g) both with an initial temp of 20c

I have to find the final temp of water,container and metal



Homework Equations


none given but I assume it will be E=Cm(t1-t2)


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm just going over it at the moment and wanted to know if that is enough information to work out the answer.The wording of the question is a bit vague and I'm not sure if I should be using information from the question that came before.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jendrix said:

Homework Statement


An unknown metal with C=3.6 Mass=150g Temp=160c is added to copper container(85g) filled with water(105g) both with an initial temp of 20c

I have to find the final temp of water,container and metal

Homework Equations


none given but I assume it will be E=Cm(t1-t2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm just going over it at the moment and wanted to know if that is enough information to work out the answer.The wording of the question is a bit vague and I'm not sure if I should be using information from the question that came before.

Thanks

You'll be needing the specific heats of water and copper.

[EDIT:] Also, what are the units associated with the C of the unknown metal?
 
Last edited:
Sorry must have missed these off

Unknown =3.6
Water =4.2
Copper =0.4
 
jendrix said:
Sorry must have missed these off

Unknown =3.6
Water =4.2
Copper =0.4

You should indicates the units associated with those numbers. Otherwise how is one to know if they are cal/gram/K, J/kg/K, J/mol/K, kJ/kg/K,...
 
Just to confirm, is all the info I've listed enough to solve the problem?

Thanks
 
jendrix said:
Just to confirm, is all the info I've listed enough to solve the problem?

Thanks

Yes.