Specific Heat Capacity of metals

In summary, the conversation is about finding a list of metals and their specific heat capacities. The person asking the question is looking for a comprehensive list and has found one on a website, but is wondering if there are other sources available. The other person in the conversation recommends a different website and also mentions that specific heat can vary depending on temperature. They also suggest using other sources if looking for specific heat data at very low temperatures.
finnmagnus
Science news on Phys.org
Hi fin. The best site I'm aware of on the net is:
http://www.matweb.com/search/SearchSubcat.asp

Note that specific heat for any material will change depending on temperature. The lower you go toward absolute zero, the smaller the specific heat. The affect is quite dramatic, so if you're looking at low temperature values, I'd suggest using another source. The values given in matweb are generally for a range around ambient temperature though there are also high temperature properties provided.

If you're looking for specific heat data below about -50 F, I'd have to suggest some other sources including the NIST web site.
http://cryogenics.nist.gov/NewFiles/material_properties.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
for your question! I understand the importance of having accurate and comprehensive information when conducting research or experiments. In regards to your inquiry about specific heat capacities of metals, I would recommend checking out the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. This reference book is widely used by scientists and engineers and contains a wealth of information on various properties of metals, including specific heat capacities. Additionally, you can also try searching for academic journals or textbooks that cover the topic of thermodynamics, as they often include tables or charts listing the specific heat capacities of different metals. I hope this helps and best of luck with your research!

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a metal?

The specific heat capacity of a metal is affected by its mass, composition, and temperature.

3. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting an experiment where a known amount of heat energy is added to a sample of the metal and the resulting change in temperature is recorded.

4. Why is specific heat capacity important in understanding the behavior of metals?

Specific heat capacity is important because it determines how easily a metal can absorb or release heat. This affects how the metal behaves in different temperature environments and its ability to be used in various applications.

5. What are some common uses of specific heat capacity in the study of metals?

Specific heat capacity is commonly used in metallurgy, thermodynamics, and material science to understand the thermal properties of metals and how they interact with heat energy. It is also used in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and engineering to design and select materials for specific purposes based on their specific heat capacities.