Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat Capacity for Gas

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
    So I have a question regarding the specific heat capacities in thermodynamics. In general the specific heat capacities for a gas (or gas mixture in thermo-chemical equilibrium) can be expressed as,

## c_p = \left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial T}\right)_p \qquad \text{and} \qquad c_v= \left(\frac{\partial e}{\partial T}\right)_v ##
    Additionally, from the state postulate of thermodynamics one can write state relationships as,

## h = h\left(p,v\right) \qquad \text{and} \qquad e = e\left(p,v\right) \qquad \text{and} \qquad T=T\left(p,v\right) ##

Now I know that the specific heats are a defined thermodynamic property and not a state variable, however, would the above relationships imply,

## c_p =c_p\left(p,v\right) \qquad \text{and} \qquad c_v= c_v\left(p,v\right) ##

?? I have never come across such a relationship (obviously not explicit) in a textbook, or even seen a surface plot to indicate this relationship. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Note: I am aware of the reciprocity relations and Maxwell relations, but I am trying to reduce the specific heats to functional relationships of density and pressure without the temperature appearing. These relationships will be formed numerically with Cantera, but I wan't to make sure my thought process is on the right track.

Thanks,

-Mr. Cosmos

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2
    The specific heats certainly are state variables.

Yes.
    If the heat capacities are expressed as ##C_v=C_v(p,T)## and ##C_p(p,T)##, then, from the equation of state, T=T(p,v), we have ##C_v=C_v(p,T(p,v))=C_v(p,v)## and ##C_p=C_p(p,T(p,v))=C_p(p,v)##

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. I guess my confusion was with the appropriate definitions of the heat capacities being state variables. In my textbook the heat capacities are declared as non-state variables, and the same is said here,
    https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/specheat.html
    However, since reading your response I have found other sources that say that they are indeed state variables. Interesting discussion.

Thanks,

-Mr. Cosmos

5. Dec 23, 2015 #4
    There is one way of knowing whether a variable is a state variable or not. If you tell me the temperature and pressure of the material and I can tell you a unique value for the variable in question (e.g., heat capacity), then the variable is a state variable. Heat capacities satisfy this requirement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook