Specific Heat of Liquid Saturation Line and Vapour Saturation Line in RefProp

In summary, the conversation is about a plot of specific heats in refprop and the use of the "Draw Saturation Lines" option. The produced chart shows the change in pressure coefficient against temperature for water when it's not in vapour-liquid equilibrium. The conversation then delves into the meaning of saturation lines and the specific conditions of the water represented by them. Questions about the pressure and the asymptotic increase are also asked.
terryphi
Hello There,

So I made a plot of some specific heats in refprop, and I chose the "Draw Saturation Lines" option. When I did this, the follow chart was produced.

http://i.imgur.com/h34Pq.png

Now my question is, what are these saturation lines representing?

-TP

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. Are you asking what saturation means? or what the graph is representing as a whole?

It's just showing you the change in pressure coefficient against temperature for water when it's not in vapour-liquid equilibrium.

Last edited:
What conditions is the water at as represented by are the "liquid saturation lines" and "vapor saturation lines". This is the specific heat of water at what pressure? Why does it increase asymptotically?

1. What is the difference between the liquid saturation line and the vapour saturation line?

The liquid saturation line and the vapour saturation line are two different lines that represent the behavior of a substance at different pressures and temperatures. The liquid saturation line represents the point at which a substance transitions from a liquid to a gas, while the vapour saturation line represents the point at which a substance transitions from a gas to a liquid.

2. What is the significance of the specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line?

The specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line is an important parameter that describes the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance at a constant pressure. This information is crucial in understanding the thermodynamic properties of a substance and its behavior under different conditions.

3. How is the specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line calculated?

The specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line can be calculated using the RefProp software, which utilizes equations and data from various sources to accurately determine the specific heat of a substance at different pressures and temperatures.

4. Can the specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line vary for different substances?

Yes, the specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line can vary for different substances. This is because the specific heat is dependent on the molecular structure and properties of the substance, such as the strength of intermolecular forces and the size and shape of the molecules.

5. How does the specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line affect the behavior of a substance?

The specific heat of the liquid saturation line and vapour saturation line plays a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic behavior of a substance. It affects the rate at which a substance heats up or cools down, as well as its ability to absorb and release heat. This information is important in various applications, such as in the design of refrigeration and heating systems.