Saturated vapour pressure vapour quality and T-S diagram location

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature, pressure, and saturation in a closed container. The "lever rule" is used to determine the mass of saturated liquid and vapor along a line between points 1 and 2. The point can be anywhere on this line, depending on additional conditions. This means that in a system like an air-conditioning condenser, there can be both liquid and vapor present in the same region.
Brett0
TL;DR Summary
Linking closed container saturation vapour pressure and T-S diagram location
Hi all.,

Just hoping to get a better fundamental insight into a few things.
If we start with this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Kinetic/vappre.html

so we have a closed container at a given temperature, then we can find it's saturation pressure. All good so far.

In the following figure ignore the actual value of 1MPa. Let's just assume that the P=1 MPa line is the hypothetical saturation pressure for our hypothetical substance at our hypothetical temperature as we defined above.

The question is where does that put us on the line between 1 and 2 as I've marked in blue circles in this picture? Anywhere along that line is at the same temperature and pressure. I suppose I'm looking to link this to the description given in the hyperphysics post.

Any help much appreciated.

Brett

1627393366569.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Along the line from 1 to 2, you have a combination of saturated liquid and saturated vapor. The mass of saturated liquid is proportional to the distance on the diagram between the point on the line and point 2. The mass of saturated vapor is proportional to the distance on the diagram between the point on the line and point 1. This is called the "lever rule."

Indeed that's true. At the equilibrium point described in the hyperphysics link where is that point along the 1-2 line? or am I looking at this wrong.

Brett0 said:
Indeed that's true. At the equilibrium point described in the hyperphysics link where is that point along the 1-2 line? or am I looking at this wrong.
You are looking at it wrong. In a given problem, you need to determine the amounts of liquid and vapor from an energy balance or from some other additional condition. The point can be anywhere on that line.

I see I see. So we could have two hypothetical vessels that have both reached vapour liquid equilibrium at the same temp and pressure but may have different enthalpy values which will lead them to be at different points on the line?

Brett0 said:
I see I see. So we could have two hypothetical vessels that have both reached vapour liquid equilibrium at the same temp and pressure but may have different enthalpy values which will lead them to be at different points on the line?
Yes, that is correct.

Brilliant.
Along those lines, does that mean that in say, an air-conditioning condenser (Where the fluid is in the same region, ie within the saturation curves) there is actual liquid in the line, as in liquid in a "Pool" as we would commonly view it, together with refrigerant vapour?

Brett0 said:
Brilliant.
Along those lines, does that mean that in say, an air-conditioning condenser (Where the fluid is in the same region, ie within the saturation curves) there is actual liquid in the line, as in liquid in a "Pool" as we would commonly view it, together with refrigerant vapour?
Sure

1. What is saturated vapor pressure?

Saturated vapor pressure is the pressure at which a liquid and its vapor are in equilibrium at a given temperature. At this pressure, the liquid and vapor phases are in balance and there is no net evaporation or condensation occurring.

2. How is vapor quality defined?

Vapor quality, also known as dryness fraction, is a measure of the ratio of the mass of vapor to the total mass of a mixture of vapor and liquid. It ranges from 0 (completely liquid) to 1 (completely vapor).

3. What is the significance of the T-S diagram in thermodynamics?

The T-S diagram, also known as the temperature-entropy diagram, is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of a substance. It is useful for analyzing and visualizing the processes and changes that occur in a system.

4. How does the location of a point on a T-S diagram relate to the state of a substance?

The location of a point on a T-S diagram represents the temperature and entropy values of a substance at a specific state. This can be used to determine the properties of the substance, such as its pressure, volume, and internal energy.

5. How is the saturated vapor pressure and vapor quality related on a T-S diagram?

The saturated vapor pressure and vapor quality are related on a T-S diagram by the saturation curve, which represents the conditions at which a substance is in equilibrium between its liquid and vapor phases. The vapor quality can be determined by the position of a point on the curve, with higher vapor qualities corresponding to points closer to the vapor region of the diagram.