Specific Heat of Metals/Homework Help?

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium temperature of a mixture of 50 cm^3 of water at 85 degrees C and 100 cm^3 of water at 10 degrees C, assuming no heat is lost to the environment. Using the specific heat of water (c = 4184 J), the equation T= {(m * c * T) + (m * c * T)} / {(m * c + m * c)} is used to calculate the equilibrium temperature, which is 35 degrees C. However, it is unclear whether the temperature is supposed to be in Celsius or Kelvin, and further clarification may be needed for a more accurate calculation.
thunder
Here is a homework problem I am working on:

1. Suppose 50 cm^3 of water at 85 degrees C is addedto 100 cm^3 of water at 10 degrees C. What is the equilibrium temperature of the mixture, assuming there is no heat lost to the environment?

* = multiplied by
T = Temperature of water
m = mass of water
c = specific heat of water = 4184 J

T= {(m * c * T) + (m * c * T)} all that divided by {(m * c + m * c)}

which gives me the following:

{(50 * 4184 * 85) + (100 * 4184 * 10)}
------------divided by---------------
{(50 * 4184) + (100 * 4184)}

= 35 degrees C for equilibrium temperature

Is this correct? Did I set it up and do it the right way??

Appreciate your help on this :) THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the temperature supposed to be in C or K? (I honestly don't know, since I don't work with this type of problem, but it seems like absolute temperature might be needed for the calculation of the combined average, and then convert back to C.)

I can confirm that your approach and calculations for this problem are correct. The formula you used is the specific heat equation, which is commonly used to calculate the equilibrium temperature when two substances at different temperatures are mixed together. The specific heat of water (c) is indeed 4184 J, and using the given values for mass and temperature, your final answer of 35 degrees C is correct. However, it is always a good practice to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent throughout the calculation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. Why do different metals have different specific heats?

Each metal has a unique atomic structure, which affects the way it absorbs and stores heat energy. This results in different specific heats for different metals.

3. How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is measured by conducting an experiment where a known mass of a substance is heated and the change in temperature is recorded. The specific heat is then calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. Why is specific heat important in everyday life?

Specific heat is important in everyday life because it helps us understand how different substances react to heat energy. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, cooking, and climate control.

5. How can I use specific heat to solve homework problems?

To solve homework problems involving specific heat, you need to know the mass, specific heat, and change in temperature of a substance. You can then use the formula Q = mcΔT to calculate the heat energy required or released. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct conversion factors.