Specific latent heat of fusion lab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Boogeyman
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


It's part of a lab designed to find the specific latent heat of fusion of ice using the method of mixtures. The results are in the 1st attachment..I want to find the specific latent heat of fusion of ice from those nos.

Homework Equations



heat lost by water = heat gained by ice + heat required to melt ice

The Attempt at a Solution


mwcw([tex]\theta<sub>i</sub>[/tex]) - ([tex]\theta<sub>f</sub>[/tex] - mici([tex]\theta<sub>i</sub>[/tex] - 0) + milf

lf = mwcw ([tex]\theta<sub>i</sub>[/tex] - [tex]\theta<sub>f</sub>[/tex]) - mici([tex]\theta<sub>i</sub>[/tex] - 0) / mi

I don't know how to fix this cursed code...anyways this is the equation I come up with. My friend in his attempt, (2nd attachment), got something different. I also found if you used cw instead of ci at the end of the last eqn you got the precise value of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.
 
Attachments
  • results.jpg
    results.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • vir's calc.jpg
    vir's calc.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also found if you used cw instead of ci at the end of the last eqn you got the precise value of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.

If the ice is at zero degree celsius you can use cw in place of ci.
 
If the ice is at zero degree celsius you can use cw in place of ci.

Ok could you explain why that is so, because as far as I know you would get different answers..btw when I worked it out yesterday I got 4.85x105Jkg-1

This is what, like more than 100 000 off the correct answer. Now I didn't use any insulation material during the experiment..can my answer be off by so much because of heat lost to surroundings?
 
You are doing the experiment in a beaker. So you have to take into account the heat gained by the beaker also. The spacific heat of the glass is 840 J/kg .degree. Then the answer is still more. So you have made some error in the observations. Do it again.