Specific latent heat of fusion lab

In summary: This is what, like more than 100 000 off the correct answer. Now I didn't use any insulation material during the experiment..can my answer be off by so much because of heat lost to surroundings?You are doing the experiment in a beaker. So you have to take into account the heat gained by the beaker also.
Boogeyman

Homework Statement

It's part of a lab designed to find the specific latent heat of fusion of ice using the method of mixtures. The results are in the 1st attachment..I want to find the specific latent heat of fusion of ice from those nos.

Homework Equations

heat lost by water = heat gained by ice + heat required to melt ice

The Attempt at a Solution

mwcw([tex]\thetai[/tex]) - ([tex]\thetaf[/tex] - mici([tex]\thetai[/tex] - 0) + milf

lf = mwcw ([tex]\thetai[/tex] - [tex]\thetaf[/tex]) - mici([tex]\thetai[/tex] - 0) / mi

I don't know how to fix this cursed code...anyways this is the equation I come up with. My friend in his attempt, (2nd attachment), got something different. I also found if you used cw instead of ci at the end of the last eqn you got the precise value of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.

Attachments

• results.jpg
    results.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • vir's calc.jpg
    vir's calc.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,171
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also found if you used cw instead of ci at the end of the last eqn you got the precise value of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.

If the ice is at zero degree celcius you can use cw in place of ci.

If the ice is at zero degree celcius you can use cw in place of ci.

Ok could you explain why that is so, because as far as I know you would get different answers..btw when I worked it out yesterday I got 4.85x105Jkg-1

This is what, like more than 100 000 off the correct answer. Now I didn't use any insulation material during the experiment..can my answer be off by so much because of heat lost to surroundings?

You are doing the experiment in a beaker. So you have to take into account the heat gained by the beaker also. The spacific heat of the glass is 840 J/kg .degree. Then the answer is still more. So you have made some error in the observations. Do it again.

1. What is the purpose of a specific latent heat of fusion lab?

The purpose of a specific latent heat of fusion lab is to determine the amount of energy needed to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, known as the specific latent heat of fusion.

2. How is the specific latent heat of fusion measured in the lab?

The specific latent heat of fusion is measured by using a calorimeter to heat a sample of the substance until it reaches its melting point, and then recording the amount of heat needed to fully melt the substance.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the results in a specific latent heat of fusion lab?

The accuracy of the results in a specific latent heat of fusion lab can be affected by the quality of the calorimeter, the purity of the substance being tested, and any external factors such as air currents that may impact the measurement.

4. How does the specific latent heat of fusion differ from the specific latent heat of vaporization?

The specific latent heat of fusion refers to the energy needed to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, while the specific latent heat of vaporization refers to the energy needed to change a substance from a liquid to a gas state.

5. Why is the specific latent heat of fusion an important concept in science?

The specific latent heat of fusion is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the behavior of substances during phase changes and can be used to calculate the amount of energy needed for industrial processes such as melting and solidifying materials.