Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Volume water antifreeze mix

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    What is the expansion change of a 50-50 mix of water and antifreeze as the mixture goes from liquid to gas. If possible both Propylene glycol and Ethylene glycol; but, I am not picky, either would be extremely appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Andy

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? What is the application? Or is this for schoolwork?

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ethylene glycol can not boil at normal atmospheric pressure. If you heat it enough, it just gives off a huge amount of smoke and decomposes to form other compounds. You might get it in gas phase with vacuum distillation, though.

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4
    Berkeman -
    It is not for school work, I'm too old for that :-) It is for an idea/concept that I have, that I would prefer not to post here.
    If water froze at a lower temp it would be ideal in my application. My application will go from liquid to steam, do to heat, be reclaimed cooled too liquid and then the process repeats. I need the expansion rate close to water (1600 times) and it needs to be a quick change. Was hoping a 50/50 mix with antifreeze might come close.

Hilbert2- I saw a materiel spec sheet that said it flashed at something like 480 F. If mixed with water does it still burn/decompose?

6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the mixture is heated, the water boils off first and when there's only glycol left, it starts decomposing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook