Specific Volume water antifreeze mix

• Thread starter andyhol
  • Start date
What is the expansion change of a 50-50 mix of water and antifreeze as the mixture goes from liquid to gas. If possible both Propylene glycol and Ethylene glycol; but, I am not picky, either would be extremely appreciated.

Many Thanks
Andy

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
What is the expansion change of a 50-50 mix of water and antifreeze as the mixture goes from liquid to gas. If possible both Propylene glycol and Ethylene glycol; but, I am not picky, either would be extremely appreciated.

Many Thanks
Andy
Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? What is the application? Or is this for schoolwork?

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ethylene glycol can not boil at normal atmospheric pressure. If you heat it enough, it just gives off a huge amount of smoke and decomposes to form other compounds. You might get it in gas phase with vacuum distillation, though.

Berkeman -
It is not for school work, I'm too old for that :-) It is for an idea/concept that I have, that I would prefer not to post here.
If water froze at a lower temp it would be ideal in my application. My application will go from liquid to steam, do to heat, be reclaimed cooled too liquid and then the process repeats. I need the expansion rate close to water (1600 times) and it needs to be a quick change. Was hoping a 50/50 mix with antifreeze might come close.

Hilbert2- I saw a materiel spec sheet that said it flashed at something like 480 F. If mixed with water does it still burn/decompose?

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hilbert2- I saw a materiel spec sheet that said it flashed at something like 480 F. If mixed with water does it still burn/decompose?
If the mixture is heated, the water boils off first and when there's only glycol left, it starts decomposing.