Help finding data for specific volume of ethanol in a water mixture?

• Thread starter mitcho
  • Start date
I have just done a lab on measuring the change in volume of an ethanol-water mixture. One of our tasks is to use the intercept method to determine the specific volumes of both the water and ethanol components at certain concentrations using a tangent line. I have the tangent line at 50% concentration but I am having trouble finding anything theoretical or scientifically accepted values for this specific volume to compare with.
Would anyone know of any readily available ones on the internet, I swear I have looked everywhere?
Thanks

Answers and Replies

I have just done a lab on measuring the change in volume of an ethanol-water mixture. One of our tasks is to use the intercept method to determine the specific volumes of both the water and ethanol components at certain concentrations using a tangent line. I have the tangent line at 50% concentration but I am having trouble finding anything theoretical or scientifically accepted values for this specific volume to compare with.
Would anyone know of any readily available ones on the internet, I swear I have looked everywhere?
Thanks
I don't think you are going to find literature data on the partial molar volumes of water and ethanol as a function of concentration. However, there is abundant data on the densities of ethanol-water solutions in the literature as a function of concentration that you can compare with.