Speed and relative damage in car crash

In summary, the accident involved a head-on collision between two cars. The car with more damage was apparently going faster than the other car, but it's unclear if that was the cause of the more damage. Newton's third law states that the force of a car on another car is the same as the force of the other car on the car. If the damage is not equal, then the force must be different.
Avila
Hi,

This week I was in an accident - one track road head on round a bend.

My impression was that the other car was faster and yet their car was more damaged.
I know that make and design is a huge issue in this but trying to recall my physics and failing.

In the not real, frictonless piston tradition -

If both cars were identical models and one was more damaged does that mean they or the other one were going faster?

I expect the claim to go through as 50/50 but wondering if there is a chance of one side blaming the other - ie them blaming me based on more damage to them.

So any thoughts on my hypothetical version?

Physics news on Phys.org
If both cars are identical then the damage is also identical as long as they are hit in the same spots. My guess is that your own vehicle was larger, heavier, and a little sturdier than theirs.

My car is smaller, but apparently tougher!

But in the hypothetical case, if the damage is not equal then it follows that the force must be different, and if mass the same then velocity would be the variable. My question is which would be going faster? Is it as obvious as the faster one causes more damage to the other, or could that force affect it itself??

Newton's third law …

the force of your car on their car is the same as the force of their car on your car.

Once you get above a slow speed crash the forces exerted on the car frame and occupants are huge and get to the point where there can be limited additional damage at impact points.

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Newton's third law …

the force of your car on their car is the same as the force of their car on your car.

Ok, so as said above, but I didn't grasp why - the damage on equal cars would be equal regardless of a difference in speed.

Thanks for that.

I am someone who likes to scratch an intellectual itch when it comes even when not in my field - so thanks folks.

What is the relationship between speed and damage in a car crash?

The speed at which a car is traveling directly affects the amount of damage that will occur in a crash. The higher the speed, the greater the force of impact and the more severe the damage will be.

How does the relative speed of two cars in a crash impact the damage?

When two cars are involved in a crash, the relative speed between the two vehicles is a crucial factor. If both cars are traveling at the same speed, the impact will be equal. However, if one car is traveling at a higher speed, it will cause more damage to the other vehicle.

What other factors besides speed can impact the damage in a car crash?

While speed is a critical factor in determining the damage in a car crash, other factors can also play a role. These include the weight and size of the vehicles, the angle of impact, and the use of safety features such as seatbelts and airbags.

Does the type of vehicle affect the damage in a car crash?

The type of vehicle involved in a car crash can also impact the amount of damage that occurs. Smaller and lighter vehicles tend to sustain more damage than larger and heavier vehicles, as they have less mass to absorb the force of impact.

At what speed does a car crash become fatal?

The speed at which a car crash becomes fatal can vary depending on several factors. However, on average, a car crash at speeds above 50mph is more likely to result in a fatality than a crash at lower speeds.