Speed of a pendulum at the bottom

In summary, the conversation discusses using conservation of energy to determine the speed of an object at the bottom of its path. The potential energy and kinetic energy are equal at the bottom, so by equating the two and solving for velocity, the equation v = (2gh)^(1/2) is obtained. However, the height must be calculated as h = (L^2 -x^2)^(1/2) in order for the equation to match one of the given answers.
Fontseeker

Homework Statement

tnrkrbS7.jpg

Homework Equations

U = (1/2)kx^2
T = 2 * π * (m/k)^ (1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I said that the angular velocity is

w = (2 * π) / t

And the equation for velocity would be:

v(t) = -Aw * cos (w * t)

However, I don't know how to relate this to the speed at the bottom. I was thinking of using conservation of energy, but I don't have the height.

Attachments

• tnrkrbS7.jpg
    tnrkrbS7.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,989
Physics news on Phys.org
The conservation of energy will work. The potential energy + the kinetic energy = the total energy is a constant. If you take the potential energy as zero at the bottom of the path, the total energy at that point is all kinetic energy. If you start from rest, the total energy at the start is all potential energy. So the kinetic energy at the bottom is equal to the potential energy at the start. You know that the potential energy is mgh and the kinetic energy is mv^2/2 so all you need to do is determine what h is in terms of the parameters of the problem.

Fontseeker said:
I don't have the height.
Ask Pythagoras for help on that one.

Alternatively, you can rule out all but one of the answers quite quickly.

haruspex said:
Ask Pythagoras for help on that one.

Alternatively, you can rule out all but one of the answers quite quickly.

Alright, so if I use conservation of energy:

(1/2)mv^2 = mgh
v = (2gh)^(1/2)

The height would be h = (L^2 -x^2)^(1/2)
so the Velocity = (2g * (L^2 -x^2)^(1/2))^(1/2)

That doesn't show up on the answers.

Fontseeker said:
The height would be h = (L^2 -x^2)^(1/2)
Not quite. Look again.

What is the speed of a pendulum at the bottom?

The speed of a pendulum at the bottom is dependent on several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. However, in a simple pendulum where the length is small compared to the amplitude of the swing, the speed at the bottom is nearly equal to the speed at the top of the swing.

How is the speed of a pendulum at the bottom calculated?

The speed of a pendulum at the bottom can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum at the bottom of the swing. This equation assumes that there is no air resistance and the length of the pendulum is small compared to the amplitude of the swing.

Does the mass of the pendulum affect its speed at the bottom?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its speed at the bottom. The speed of a pendulum is only affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released.

How does the length of the pendulum affect its speed at the bottom?

The length of the pendulum directly affects its speed at the bottom. According to the equation v = √(2gh), the speed is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum. This means that longer pendulums will have a higher speed at the bottom compared to shorter pendulums, assuming all other factors are the same.

What factors can affect the speed of a pendulum at the bottom?

The speed of a pendulum at the bottom can be affected by various factors, including the length of the pendulum, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Other factors such as air resistance, the mass of the pendulum, and the material of the pendulum can also have an impact on its speed.