Spring and Rock Homework: Finding Separation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations and variables involved in determining the point at which a rock will separate from a spring due to the acceleration of gravity. It is determined that the rock will separate when the acceleration of the spring becomes less than the acceleration of gravity. The amplitude at which this separation occurs can be found by setting the acceleration of the spring equal to the acceleration of gravity and solving for the amplitude using equations for simple harmonic motion. It is also noted that the acceleration of the spring must be greater than the acceleration of gravity in order for the rock to stay in contact with the spring.
Fontseeker

Homework Statement

tnrkrkS7.jpg

Homework Equations

U = (1/2)kx^2
T = 2 * π * (m/k)^ (1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
T = 2 * π * (m/k)^ (1/2)
T ^ 2 = 4 * π^2 * (m/k)
k = (4 * π^2 * m) / T^2

So I know the initial potential energy is:

U = (1/2)kx^2
U = (1/2)x^2 * ((4 * π^2 * m) / T^2)

However, I don't know how to find where the rock and the spring separate?

Attachments

• tnrkrkS7.jpg
    tnrkrkS7.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
Fontseeker said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225095

Homework Equations

U = (1/2)kx^2
T = 2 * π * (m/k)^ (1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
T = 2 * π * (m/k)^ (1/2)
T ^ 2 = 4 * π^2 * (m/k)
k = (4 * π^2 * m) / T^2

So I know the initial potential energy is:

U = (1/2)kx^2
U = (1/2)x^2 * ((4 * π^2 * m) / T^2)

However, I don't know how to find where the rock and the spring separate?
There is a constant force of gravity acting on the rock. When happens when the acceleration of gravity is greater than the acceleration provided by the spring? What happens when it is less?

tnich said:
There is a constant force of gravity acting on the rock. When happens when the acceleration of gravity is greater than the acceleration provided by the spring? What happens when it is less?
When the acceleration of gravity is greater than the spring, then they separate right?

Fontseeker said:
When the acceleration of gravity is greater than the spring, then they separate right?
You are close, but that's not quite it. Will the rock separate when it is traveling downward, or upward?

tnich said:
You are close, but that's not quite it. Will the rock separate when it is traveling downward, or upward?
The rock will separate as it is traveling upward, as soon as the spring stretches out (reaches its max amplitude), right?

Fontseeker said:
The rock will separate as it is traveling upward, as soon as the spring stretches out (reaches its max amplitude), right?
Nope. Your were closer before. The separation point has to do with the acceleration.

tnich said:
Nope. Your were closer before. The separation point has to do with the acceleration.
The spring will be acceleration up, and as long as the acceleration of the spring is greater than g, then so will the rock. As soon as the acceleration of the spring is less than g, it will separate right?

Fontseeker said:
The spring will be acceleration up, and as long as the acceleration of the spring is greater than g, then so will the rock. As soon as the acceleration of the spring is less than g, it will separate right?
Right in a sense. You need to think about the signs of the accelerations.

tnich said:
Right.
Now, I would just have to find the x at which the accelerations of both the spring and the rock equal the same using Newton's second law right?

Fontseeker said:
Now, I would just have to find the x at which the accelerations of both the spring and the rock equal the same using Newton's second law right?
You were quick. I edited my answer. You still don't have it quite right. When the spring is accelerating upward and gravity is accelerating downward, the rock stay in contact. When the spring starts accelerating downward and it's acceleration downward is greater than the acceleration of gravity, then the rock will separate.
The question wants to know the amplitude at which the rock will separate. What equations do you know about simple harmonic motion that have acceleration and amplitude in them?

tnich said:
You were quick. I edited my answer. You still don't have it quite right. When the spring is accelerating upward and gravity is accelerating downward, the rock stay in contact. When the spring starts accelerating downward and it's acceleration downward is greater than the acceleration of gravity, then the rock will separate.
The question wants to know the amplitude at which the rock will separate. What equations do you know about simple harmonic motion that have acceleration and amplitude in them?
I know a(t) = -Aw^2 * sin(wt). Now, I am trying to find when the acceleration starts accelerating downward, so I can just set to 0 right?

Fontseeker said:
I know a(t) = -Aw^2 * sin(wt). Now, I am trying to find when the acceleration starts accelerating downward, so I can just set to 0 right?
If you were holding a rock stationary on the palm of your hand, how fast would you have to accelerate your hand downward so that rock would fall freely?

jbriggs444 said:
If you were holding a rock stationary in your hand, how fast would you have to accelerate your hand downward so that rock would fall freely?
I would have to accelerate it down at g.

Fontseeker said:
I would have to accelerate it down at g.
Right! So how fast does the block on which the fragment is resting have to accelerate downward so that the fragment falls free?

jbriggs444 said:
Right! So how fast does the block on which the fragment is resting have to accelerate downward so that the fragment falls free?
I am not really understanding your question

Fontseeker said:
I am not really understanding your question
Replace your palm with a block. How fast does the block have to accelerate downward so that a rock sitting on top falls free?

jbriggs444 said:
Replace your palm with a block. How fast does the block have to accelerate downward so that a rock sitting on top falls free?
It has to accelerate down at 9.8m/s^2

Fontseeker said:
It has to accelerate down at 9.8m/s^2
Right! Now all you have to do is figure out what amplitude of an oscillation results in the block having a downward 9.8 m/s^2 acceleration at some point.

jbriggs444 said:
Right! Now all you have to do is figure out what amplitude of an oscillation results in the block having a downward 9.8 m/s^2 acceleration at some point.

I could use this equation, but I don't know w: a(t) = -Aw^2 * sin(wt)

Fontseeker said:
I could use this equation, but I don't know w: a(t) = -Aw^2 * sin(wt)
You know that the maximum downward acceleration occurs when sin(ωt) = what?

Edit: and you do know ω -- it is a function of f.

jbriggs444 said:
You know that the maximum downward acceleration occurs when sin(ωt) = what?

Edit: and you do know ω -- it is a function of f.
sin(wt) = g / (Aw^2) right?

Would you find w using conservation of energy or how would you find it?

Write omega in terms of f. The multiple choice answers you are given use f.

Edit: Also, answer the question: For a given amplitude A, the maximum downward acceleration of the block occurs when sin(ωt) = what?

jbriggs444 said:
Write omega in terms of f. The multiple choice answers you are given use f.

Edit: Also, answer the question: For a given amplitude A, the maximum downward acceleration of the block occurs when sin(ωt) = what?

sin(wt) = g / (Aw^2) and then replace w using frequency right?

Fontseeker said:
sin(wt) = g / (Aw^2) and then replace w using frequency right?
Way easier than that.

The acceleration is maximum when sin(ωt) is maximum. What is the maximum value of sin(ωt)?

1. What is the purpose of the "Spring and Rock Homework: Finding Separation" assignment?

The purpose of this assignment is to help students understand the concept of separation in physics, specifically in the context of a spring and rock system. This assignment also helps students practice applying mathematical equations and principles to real-world scenarios.

2. How do I approach solving this homework problem?

First, read the problem carefully and identify the given values and what is being asked. Then, use the relevant equations and principles learned in class to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a table to organize the information.

3. What if I don't understand the concept of separation in this context?

If you are struggling with understanding the concept of separation in the context of a spring and rock system, it may be helpful to review the material covered in class or seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. You can also reach out to your teacher or classmates for clarification or assistance.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this homework problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this homework problem. However, it is important to show your work and clearly explain your steps in the solution. This will help you better understand the problem and receive partial credit if your answer is incorrect.

5. How is the concept of separation important in the field of science?

The concept of separation is important in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. In physics, separation is used to describe the distance between two objects or particles. In chemistry, separation techniques such as filtration and distillation are used to separate mixtures into their individual components. In biology, separation is used to study the structure and function of cells and tissues. Overall, understanding the concept of separation is crucial in understanding and analyzing various natural phenomena.