Speed of Sound in Compressed C02 Tank

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
MattRob
Messages
208
Reaction score
29
Hey,
I've built a Cold Gas Rocket using a Co2 tank that stores liquid C02 at room temperature around 850 psi. (A Cold Gas Rocket is a rocket that uses a pressurized tank to propel the reaction mass instead of combustion, essentially just open a scuba tank and that's a very dangerous (not the one I built) cold gas rocket.)
I suspect the exhaust velocity of the rocket is the speed of sound in the tank (850 +/- 200 psi) minus the speed of sound in the air (14.7 psi).
C02 is at room temperature, tank is half full of liquid, other half is high-pressure C02 at just below liquid pressure (still around ~850 psi).

So,
1) Is the exhaust/exit velocity the speed of sound in the higher pressure area minus the speed of sound in the lower pressure area?
2) What is the speed of sound in the C02 tank?

Information:
Tank Pressure: (800 psi +/- 200 for range of temperatures)
Tank temperature: ~72*F, Room temperature.
Tank state: half liquid, half gas. I'm more concerned with the liquid, calculate for liquid, please. (Since the liquid is forced to the exit when the valve is opened, it's the one that counts.)
Tank density: ? Liquid C02 at room temperature and 850 psi.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uRmPLVkA&sig2=owumVzMLC129DqRicyovfA&cad=rja". It has equations for exhaust velocities. As far as I can tell, they are not related to the speed of sound of anything.

They also refer to a book, "Understanding Space" by Jerry Jon Sellers. That book probably has all the equations you need. You can check http://www.worldcat.org" to find if that book is available in any libraries near you. In not, you might be able to ask your local public library to borrow that book from a library that has it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Contrary to what Omoplata writes, the maximum flow of a pressurized gas from a tank is directly proportional to the speed of sound in that gas. The condition is called "choked flow", and more details can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow