Speed of sound related to absolute temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Bolter
Messages
262
Reaction score
31
Homework Statement
See image attached below
Relevant Equations
v = k * sqrt(T)
Here is the Q

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 12.50.08.png

Very unsure about how to approach this question but this is what I have tried

IMG_4316.JPG


Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the multiplier, k, is not really necessary. The velocity of sound will change in proportion to ##\sqrt T ##, so you can scale velocity by ##\sqrt {T_1} / \sqrt {T_0} ## without even knowing what k is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bolter and berkeman
FactChecker said:
Your calculation of the multiplier, k, is not really necessary. The velocity of sound will change in proportion to ##\sqrt T ##, so you can scale velocity by ##\sqrt {T_1} / \sqrt {T_0} ## without even knowing what k is.

Thank you, I have tried this and get the same value again. I'll keep a note of using next time I get a similar problem :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and FactChecker