1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed, Velocity, Acceleration, etc. at t=0

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    I was wondering how speed, velocity, acceleration and anything with a [itex]\Delta t[/itex] in the denominator are defined at [itex]\Delta t=0[/itex]? Other than approximating with limits, aren't they undefined?

Ex: [itex]{\vec{v_{avg}} = \frac{\vec{s}}{\Delta t}}[/itex], at t = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow {\vec{v_{avg}} = \frac{\vec{s}}{0}} \Rightarrow {\vec{v_{avg}}} = und.[/itex]

[itex]{\vec{a}} = \frac{\vec{v_{f}}-\vec{v_{i}}}{\Delta t}[/itex], at t = 0 [itex]\Rightarrow {\vec{a}} = \frac{\vec{v_{f}}-\vec{v_{i}}}{0} \Rightarrow {\vec{a}} = und.[/itex]

Thank-you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

None of those quantities are defined with a finite Δt. They are defined as derivatives, which avoids that issue by taking a mathematical limit.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well as mfb pointed out, they are defined by derivatives, and thus they are instantaneous and not average.
    There is no average velocity/acceleration defined at a given time t=0, but in some interval Δt. So your formulas are wrong...

For [itex]\Delta t \rightarrow 0[/itex] you have:

[itex] a(t_0)= lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{ u(t_{0}+ \Delta t) - u(t_{0})}{\Delta t}[/itex]
    You can expand the [itex] u(t_{0}+ \Delta t)[/itex] around t0:
    [itex] u(t_{0}+ \Delta t) \approx u(t_{0})+ \Delta t \frac{du(t)}{dt}|_{t=t_{0}}[/itex]
    (you could try to write more terms in the series so avoid the approximation symbol, but later on you are going to take the limit of [itex]\Delta t \rightarrow 0[/itex] and so you see only the first power would survive-the rest would have [itex] \frac{(\Delta t)^{2}}{\Delta t} \rightarrow 0 [/itex] in that limit).

thus:

[itex] a(t_0)= lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{ u(t_{0})+ \Delta t \frac{du(t)}{dt}|_{t=t_{0}} - u(t_{0})}{\Delta t}=\frac{du(t)}{dt}|_{t=t_{0}} [/itex]

As for a the acceleration (rate of change of velocity), a similar way is used for u, but with x instead of u (since it's the rate of change of position)

But there is no distinction between derivatives and limits... derivatives are mathematically defined by the first limit I wrote...now if you prefer listening to the name "derivative" instead of "limit" it's up to you. But all derivative properties are proved by their definition as limits.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook