1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Harmonics Normalization

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    Hello, everyone!

I'm working on parametrizing a magnetic field using spherical harmonics. The equations
    Yc n,m (theta, phi) = (R/R0)^n * Pn,m(cos(theta)) * cos(m*phi)
    Ys n,m (theta, phi) = (R/R0)^n * Pn,m(cos(theta)) * sin(m*phi)
    where Pn,m is a Legendre polynomial where n is degree and m is order of polynomial. 0<=m<=n

Bx = R0x / C1,1 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Cn,m * Yc n,m))
    By = R0y / S1,1 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Sn,m * Ys n,m))
    Bz = R0z / C1,0 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Cn,m * Yc n,m))

theta, phi, and R are defined as meshes (in Matlab). Every point in 3D space has a unique R, theta, phi combination. Theta is the azimuth angle, phi is the polar angle.

Cn,m for x and z axes, as well as Sn,m for the y axis, are three separate sets of coefficients. The problem is that they are all written as rows of numbers, not pyramids (n=0,m=0; n=1,m=0 and n=1 m=1 etc.), so I am unsure which m and n value the first coefficient has. The manual indicates that the summation starts at n=0,m=0, however, it seems strange that the 3rd term in the series (C1,1) would be normalized. I am not very familiar with spherical harmonics. Could someone suggest a reasonable explanation for how normalization is done and where the summation should start?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've looked through the articles on wikipedia. One of them hints that C1,1 in the x, S1,1 in the z, and C1,0 in the z are special cases. Unfortunately, it doesn't explain why (nor do the books I looked at so far).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook