1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical raindrop, mass, radius, and time

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Separate variables and integrate to find an expression for r(t), given r0 at t=0

2. Relevant equations

M=ρ(4/3)πr3, thus V=(4/3)πr3

dM/dt=Cr3 where C is a constant

3. The attempt at a solution

∫dM=∫Cr3dt

M+constant=??

I have no idea how to integrate r because it's a function of t but we're not given the function. I don't think that integrating the left side this way will be very helpful either. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to express M in terms of r. Once you do that, then dM(r) / dt = Cr3, and you can separate the variables to get r on one side and dt on the other.

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    Ok... I guess I don't really understand how to do that. Can I do that using just the M equation, or do I need something else?

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You gave an expression for the mass of the raindrop in terms of the radius right there in Section 2 of the template. It's the equation M = ...

6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    Alright, so I have M=ρ(4/3)πr3. What exactly do I do with this? Take the derivative and set it equal to the other? Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious.

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This problem is about solving a differential equation by separation of variables. Have you studied how to do this yet?

8. Sep 19, 2015 #7
    Yes, but a few years ago so maybe I've forgotten something key. So I have C*r*dt=ρ*4*π*dr. Is that correct?

9. Sep 19, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite.

Presumably, as the rain drop falls, it gets bigger as it collects more moisture; therefore, the radius of the drop grows as time passes.

Since the drop is spherical, M(t) = ρ(4/3)π*[r(t)]3, where M and r are written as functions of time.

You are also given the condition that the change in the mass of the drop, dM(t)/dt, at any given time is proportional to the cube of the radius of the drop, or dM(t)/dt = Cr3. At t = 0, r(t) = r(0) = r0.

You should check your differentiation of M(t) w.r.t. time. You might have to use the chain rule here, since M is a function of r, but r is a function of t.

10. Sep 19, 2015 #9
    I got it!!! Can't believe I forgot about the chain rule. Thank you so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted