Spherical tensor operators' commutation with lowering/raising operator

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in an equation from Shankar's book (2nd edition) about spherical tensor operators. The equation in question involves [J_\pm, T_k^q]=\pm \hbar\sqrt{(k\mp q)(k\pm q+1)}T_k^{q\pm 1}, and the individual is trying to derive it using a hint from Exercise 15.3.2 but is getting a different result without the overall \pm sign on the right-hand side. They believe this may be a typo in Shankar's book, but other sources such as Sakurai's book (2nd edition) have the same equation. The individual is wondering which version is correct and if
cattlecattle
I'm studying Shankar's book (2nd edition), and I came across his equation (15.3.11) about spherical tensor operators:
[itex][J_\pm, T_k^q]=\pm \hbar\sqrt{(k\mp q)(k\pm q+1)}T_k^{q\pm 1}[/itex]

I tried to derive this using his hint from Ex 15.3.2, but the result I got doesn't have the overall [itex]\pm[/itex] sign on the RHS (i.e., it's always [itex]+\hbar[/itex] on the RHS). And I think my result agrees with the result of k=1 where [itex]T_1^\pm=\mp\frac{V_x\pm iV_y}{\sqrt{2}},T_1^0=V_z[/itex] as well.

So I thought this was simply a typo from Shankar's book, but it seems all erratas of this book don't list this as a typo. And the wikipedia article and various other online tutorials all agree with Shankar.

However, Sakurai's book agrees with me (second edition, Eq 3.11.25b)

I'm wondering which version is correct, or could it be that the two versions are adopting different conventions. I'm leaning towards the belief that Shankar's version is a typo and all the online tutorials and the wikipedia article are simply copying the same typo.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My references (Edmonds and Messiah) agree with you.

1. What is a spherical tensor operator?

A spherical tensor operator is a mathematical operator that represents the rotational properties of a physical system. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of particles.

2. How do spherical tensor operators commute with lowering/raising operators?

Spherical tensor operators commute with lowering/raising operators when they have the same eigenvalues for the angular momentum. This means that they can be interchanged without changing the outcome of the calculation.

3. What is the significance of commutation relations between spherical tensor operators and lowering/raising operators?

The commutation relations between spherical tensor operators and lowering/raising operators are important because they allow for the calculation of expectation values and other properties of quantum mechanical systems. They also provide a way to analyze the rotational symmetry of a system.

4. How are spherical tensor operators related to spherical harmonics?

Spherical tensor operators are closely related to spherical harmonics, which are mathematical functions used to describe the angular dependence of wavefunctions in quantum mechanics. Spherical tensor operators can be constructed from combinations of spherical harmonics and are used to represent the rotational properties of a system.

5. What are some applications of spherical tensor operators in physics?

Spherical tensor operators have many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the angular momentum of particles, determine selection rules for transitions between energy levels, and calculate the properties of rotational states in molecules. They are also used in nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and many other areas of research.