1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Angular Momentum - Bullet hitting bottom of a thin rod?

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

vr3rl2.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Angular momentum is the only parameter conserved. This is because there are no external torques acting on the system. Energy is not conserved because the collision is inelastic. Finally, linear momentum is not conserved because there is an external force acting on the rod's center of mass that prevents the system from moving forward after the collision.

Now, for part d, I am not so sure what to do. Should I equate the angular momentum of the system before the bullet hits with the final angular momentum of the system, solve for angular velocity, and turn that into linear velocity? Though I have no idea how g would come into play..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your plan to get going is good. After the embedding of the bullet, the thing is just a kind of pendulum (a variation on the ballistic pendulum).

If you fill in the relevant equations under 2, you automatically get to see the role of g.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted