Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin in arbritary direction

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1

If we choose the z direction as the orientation of the spin, then spin-up (|+>) and spin-down (|->) could be written as

[tex]|+\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ 0\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]|-\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}0 \\ 1\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

From the textbook, if we consider aabritary orientation (n), the new state will be given

[tex]|+_n\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}\cos(\theta/2) e^{-i\phi/2} \\ \sin(\theta/2) e^{i\phi/2}\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

[tex]|-_n\rangle = \left(\begin{matrix}-\sin(\theta/2) e^{-i\phi/2} \\ \cos(\theta/2) e^{i\phi/2}\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Now, consider the orientation along y direction such that [tex]\theta=\pi/2, \phi=\pi/2[/tex], it will gives the spin-up and spin-down along y direction. However, in some other textbooks, the spin-up/down along y direction is

[tex]|\pm_y\rangle = \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ \pm i\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

But I cannot get this state if I start from [tex]\theta=\pi/2, \phi=\pi/2[/tex] ???
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are the angles defined?
  4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

Sorry! I found what's going on now. Since the phase factor doesn't matter in QM, hence, it gives the same state by pulling the phase factor out. Sorry for bothering.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?