What is the Maximum Radius for a Bucket of Water in Circular Motion?

In summary, the question asks for the radius of the largest circle that a 3.75 kg bucket of water, moving at a speed of 6.20 m/s at the top of a vertical loop, can move through without the water leaving the bottom of the bucket. The formula Fc = mv^2/r is mentioned, but the value for Fc is not given. It is stated that the question is set on Earth's surface, where the gravitational acceleration is -9.81 m/s^2. A possible starting point for solving the question is to consider the relationship between Fc and Fg.
Redjakk1

Homework Statement

A 3.75 kg bucket pile of water is swung in a vertical circle. If the speed of the bucket at the top of the loop is 6.20 m/s, then the radius of the largest circle through which this pail could move without the water leaving the bottom of the pail would be what?

m = 3.75 kg

v = 6.20 m/s

r = ?

I was thinking to use Fc = mv^2/r but I'm not given Fc. I'm not sure what formula I should use or how to go about solving this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redjakk1 said:
at the top of the loop is 6.20 m/s,
Step 1 read the question. Step 2 is to reread the question for the information you need.

Bystander said:
Step 1 read the question. Step 2 is to reread the question for the information you need.
What do you mean?

It's stated all over the forum that you are going to have to do some of the work. If I quote a piece of your original post, that is what is called a "hint."

Well I sort of figured that. I'm not trying to get out of doing the work, I'm just not sure what formula I should use or how I should go about the question.

Does the question place you specifically on the Moon? Or Mars? Or elsewhere in the solar system? You may assume that you are on the Earth's surface.

So g = -9.81. Is Fc equal to Fg or something like that then ?

Makes a good place to start.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It is characterized by a constant distance from a fixed point, known as the center of the circle, and a constant speed or velocity.

2. How does a bucket move in circular motion?

A bucket moves in circular motion when it is attached to a rope and swung around in a circular path. The rope acts as a centripetal force, pulling the bucket towards the center of the circle and keeping it in motion.

3. What factors affect the circular motion of a bucket?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a bucket include the radius of the circular path, the speed of the bucket, and the mass of the bucket. An increase in any of these factors will result in a larger centripetal force and a faster circular motion.

4. How is circular motion related to centripetal force?

Circular motion is related to centripetal force because it is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a bucket, the tension in the rope acts as the centripetal force.

5. How does the circular motion of a bucket change with an increase in speed?

As the speed of the bucket increases, the centripetal force needed to maintain circular motion also increases. If the speed becomes too great, the centripetal force may not be strong enough to keep the bucket in a circular path, causing it to fly off in a straight line.