1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Calculus - Chapter 1 Problems

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    I have begun in my spare time to work through Spivak's Calculus. Although I have been stuck on many problems, I am most troubled by my general clumsiness and nonelegance of answers (particularly proofs). It always seems that there likely is a much simpler route available, and yet I forgo this route for a long-winded tedious argument. (Perhaps of my lack of proof experience)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6 c) Prove that if [itex]x^{n}=y^{n}[/itex] and n is odd, then [itex]x=y[/itex].
    6 c) Prove that if [itex]x^{n}=y^{n}[/itex] and n is even, then [itex]x=y or x=-y[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

12 Properties of Real Numbers

3. The attempt at a solution

For 6c, I considered using the contrapositive and claiming that:
    If y≠x, then either y>x or x>y, which implies [itex]x^{n}<y^{n}[/itex] or [itex]x^{n}>y^{n}[/itex], which should complete the proof? (This was proven as the first part of the problem.)

However, I tried to use a more direct proof from considering the factorization of the terms. This required a long winded explanation that required several rewritings for different cases, and an absolute value claim that I believe to be non-rigorous.

Is there a simple way to do these proofs directly? (And is the contrapositive proof I provided sound?)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    Here is a counter example to your first proof. Let y = 2, x = -2. Now y > x. But x^2 = y^2.

How about if x^n = y^n and n odd, then divide both sides by x^n, factor the n, and show x/y = 1 which leads to x = y. Then make a special case for when x is 0.

Similarly for n even.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry about my inclarity. The proof I provided was only for problem 6c) where n is odd case. I realize this will not work for the even case.

Interesting, thank you for this. I have just been somewhat confused about what facts I am and am not allowed to use. Thus, I was generally hesitant with the general exponent rules. (Should I think this way?)

5. May 19, 2012 #4
    So, is there a particularly clean way to show these through the factorization?

(I am uneasy about using the exponent rules at this point of the book.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook