1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Ch. 5 Limits, problem 6

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the functions f and g have the following property: for all ε > 0 and all x,

If [itex]0 < \left| x-2 \right| < \sin^{2} \left( \frac{\varepsilon^{2}}{9} \right) + \varepsilon[/itex], then [itex]\left| f(x) - 2 \right| < \varepsilon[/itex].

If [itex]0 < \left| x - 2 \right| < \varepsilon^{2}[/itex] then [itex]\left| g(x) - 4 \right| < \varepsilon[/itex].

For each [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] find a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all x:

ii) if [itex]0 < \left| x-2 \right| < \delta[/itex], then [itex]\left| f(x)g(x) - 8 \right| < \varepsilon[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution book says:

We need: [itex]\left| f(x) - 2 \right| < min \left( 1, \frac{\varepsilon}{2 (\left| 4 \right| + 1)} \right) [/itex] and [itex]\left| g(x) - 4 \right| < \frac{\varepsilon} {2 (\left| 2 \right|) + 1}[/itex].

My question is: How did they get these fractions in the solution? I've multiplied [itex]\left| f(x) - 2 \right|[/itex] and [itex]\left| g(x) - 4 \right| [/itex] to get [itex]\left| f(x)g(x) - 4f(x) - 2g(x) + 8 \right|[/itex]. Am I going in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That g in the denominator in the first line is g(x)?
    I would start by making some simplifying substitutions: u = x+2, F(u) = f(x)-2, G(u) = g(x)-4.

4. Jan 23, 2013 #3
    The denominator in the first line is 9, not g.

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll have to do some more algebra to get it into a useful form. Here's a suggestion for how to start:
    $$f(x)g(x) - 8 = (f(x) - 2)(g(x) - 4) + 4f(x) + 2g(x) - 16$$
    Now see if you can do some more manipulations on the right hand side. You want to get more terms containing (f(x) - 2) and (g(x) - 4).

6. Jan 24, 2013 #5
    Thank you guys SO much!

jbunniii, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

7. Sep 24, 2013 #6
    A note for future visitors: the solution follows directly from part (2) of the lemma. No need for the algebraic manipulations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted