Splitting Derivative: Rules & Effects in Physics

In summary: Note that dy is the vertical leg of the triangle.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of splitting a derivative, such as ##\frac{dy}{dx}##, into separate pieces ##dy## and ##dx##, and the rules for when this is permissible. It is shown that this can be done with certain proofs, and that the dx and dy notations have different meanings in different types of integrals. The conversation also touches on the use of dx as an infinitesimal and how it relates to ##
transmini
After doing a couple courses in physics as well as calculus and differential equations, I was starting to wonder about splitting a derivate, such as ## \frac{dy}{dx} ##, into separate pieces ##dy## and ##dx##. I know we've never done it in calculus or differential equations because it isn't technically a fraction, its one thing. But if that's the case, why does it work when doing it in more applied courses such as physics? Are there certain rules on when this kind of thing works and does not?

Physics news on Phys.org
The general rule is that it is permissible to do it when you can prove that there is a way to arrive at the same result without doing it.

For example, it is fairly easy to prove that ##\frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}## provided all three derivatives exist and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## is nonzero. The proof just uses the definition of derivative in terms of limits, together with properties of limits of products and quotients.

After a while you get to know what these valid uses are. If in doubt, don't just assume you are allowed to do it.

There are a number of different ways of handling this. The simplest is to define "dx" as a purely symbolic "differential", then define dy= f'(x) dx. Although you are correct that the derivative is NOT fraction it is a limit of fractions. By going back before the limit, using fractions properties then taking the limit, one can show that the derivative can be treated like a fraction. The "differential" notation above formalizes that.

dx just means change in x. dy/dx is change in y relative to a change in x. with integrals it is known as the integrand and it refers to the variable that is being integrated. Your supposed to understand that in calc 2 and 3 but seeing it in an application is not so easy. Its like an infinitely small change moreover and heck yea you can split that ish up screw the rules.

Josh S Thompson said:
dx just means change in x.
No, that would be ##\Delta x##. dx is the differential of x.
Josh S Thompson said:
dy/dx is change in y relative to a change in x.
dy/dx is one form of notation for the derivative of y with respect to x. It is defined as a limit.
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x \to 0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{h}$$
The change in y relative to a change in x is ##\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}##.
Josh S Thompson said:
with integrals it is known as the integrand and it refers to the variable that is being integrated.
No, dx is not the integrand. In an indefinite integral such as ##\int 3x^2 + 2x~dx##, the integrand is ##3x^2 + 2x##. The dx part has different meanings for different kinds of integrals (e.g., Riemann integrals, Rieman-Stiltjes integrals, Lebesgue integrals).
From wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral):
The symbol dx (explained below) indicates the variable of integration, x. The function f(x) which is to be integrated is called the integrand.
Josh S Thompson said:
Your supposed to understand that in calc 2 and 3 but seeing it in an application is not so easy. Its like an infinitely small change moreover and heck yea you can split that ish up screw the rules.

Mark44 said:
No, dx is not the integrand. In an indefinite integral such as ∫3x 2 +2x dx \int 3x^2 + 2x~dx, the integrand is 3x 2 +2x 3x^2 + 2x. The dx part has different meanings for different kinds of integrals (e.g., Riemann integrals, Rieman-Stiltjes integrals, Lebesgue integrals).
From wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral):
I don't understand I thought the dx refers to the variable that is being integrated, thank you for correcting me on the integrand. And yes I understand the integral as a sum such that dx would be finite and Tri-x. Moreover what's the big deal with dx not meaning change in x?

Mark44 said:
dy/dx is one form of notation for the derivative of y with respect to x. It is defined as a limit.
dydx =lim Δx→0 ΔyΔx =lim h→0 f(x+h)−f(x)h
\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x \to 0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{h}
The change in y relative to a change in x is ΔyΔx \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}.
if you a function F(x) it will change relative to x. The change in F(x), dF/dx, is another function that changes relative to x. I don't see the need to say its the differential of x because its continuous. Isn't it the same thing anyways, and please tell me its not because every math teacher gets pissed off when you overlook dx. Please Mark44 help me understand, you can explain the different meanings I know you can.

Josh S Thompson said:
I don't understand I thought the dx refers to the variable that is being integrated
Yes, dx conveys that information in a Riemann integral. It has a different meaning in the other integrals I mentioned.
Josh S Thompson said:
, thank you for correcting me on the integrand. And yes I understand the integral as a sum such that dx would be finite and Tri-x.
What is Tri-x?
Josh S Thompson said:
Moreover what's the big deal with dx not meaning change in x?
dx is an infinitesimal, while ##\Delta x## means a small, but finite, change in x. In practice, dx and ##\Delta x## are treated as synonomous, but the same is not true for dy and ##\Delta y##.

In the picture below, the blue curve is supposed to be the graph of y = f(x). At the lower left corner of the triangle is the point ##(x_0, y_0)##, where ##y_0 = f(x_0)##. Partway up the vertical line is the distance dy, where dy = f'(x0) * dx. Farther up, the vertical line intersects the curve at ##(x_1, y_1)##, where ##y_1 = f(x_1)##, and ##x_1 = x_0 + dx = x_0 + \Delta x##.

We can estimate ##y_1## using the tangent line, as ##y_1 \approx y_0 + dy = y_0 + f'(x_0) dx##. Notice that because the curve is concave up, our estimate for ##y_1## will be smaller than the true value of ##y_1##, which would be ##y_1 = y_0 + \Delta y##.
Snapshot.jpg

Josh S Thompson said:
if you a function F(x) it will change relative to x.
There's a verb missing here. What are you trying to say?
Josh S Thompson said:
The change in F(x), dF/dx, is another function that changes relative to x.
No, this isn't right. The change in F is ##\Delta F##. DF/dx is the derivative of F with respect to x.
Let's say we're talking about two points (x1, F(x1)) and (x2, F(x2)), where x2 - x1 = ##\Delta x##.

The change in F is ##\Delta F## (or ##\Delta y## if y = F(x)), the change in the y values of function F. IOW, this is F(x2) - F(x1). This is only approximately equal to dF, and only when x2 - x1 is "small." The picture I drew in my other post shows the difference between dy and ##\Delta y##.
Josh S Thompson said:
I don't see the need to say its the differential of x because its continuous. Isn't it the same thing anyways, and please tell me its not because every math teacher gets pissed off when you overlook dx. Please Mark44 help me understand, you can explain the different meanings I know you can.

Mark44 said:
What is Tri-x?
delta x

Mark44 said:
snapshot-jpg.91343.jpg

You know me too well, I think I get it and I agree but I just think with very small delta x delta y approaches dy. Thank you.

1. What is the concept of splitting derivative in physics?

The splitting derivative in physics refers to the process of breaking down a complex function into simpler components in order to analyze its behavior. It involves using the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of each component, and then combining them to find the derivative of the original function.

2. What are the rules for splitting derivative in physics?

The rules for splitting derivative in physics are similar to the rules for differentiation. They include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and the derivative of inverse functions. These rules can be used to find the derivative of each component of a function before combining them to find the derivative of the whole function.

3. How does splitting derivative affect the accuracy of calculations in physics?

Splitting derivative can improve the accuracy of calculations in physics by allowing us to break down a complex function into simpler components. This makes it easier to find the derivative of the function and reduces the chances of making errors in the calculation. It also allows for a more thorough analysis of the behavior of the function.

4. Can splitting derivative be applied to any function in physics?

Yes, the concept of splitting derivative can be applied to any function in physics, as long as the function is differentiable. This means that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined derivative at every point. As long as these conditions are met, splitting derivative can be used to find the derivative of the function.

5. What are the practical applications of splitting derivative in physics?

Splitting derivative has many practical applications in physics. It is commonly used in the fields of mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics to analyze the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in engineering and other scientific disciplines to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.