Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spoon music

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    It made me stand up and do a little tap dance in the bedroom.:biggrin:

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Nice! As was the Polish chit chat.
    Repeat please!

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    That is great, but if you can't find some spoons...

this one I like!

or this one;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Oct 23, 2009 #5

Borek

Wow, never heard about hambone before :bugeye:

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

That spoon-guy (OP) was pretty entertaining, unlike the obnoxious jerk who seemed to show up at gigs every hunting season at the Solon Hotel. He was bad when he was sober, and got worse (and louder) with every beer. People paid a cover-charge to hear our band, not to listen to some inept clacking. Nothing against spoons in general, mind you - there was a jug-band in my old home town that featured spoons, washtub bass, and washboard rhythm (using thimbles) as well as guitar, harmonica and banjo. They were a very entertaining bunch and played lots of traditional music - usually for free and just for the fun of it. A guy who owned a hot-dog stand near my parents' house built a stage by the side of the place and gave musicians a free place to play - he gave them discounts, and they drew in more business for him.

8. Oct 23, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I have a friend who's pretty darned good at it - he picked it up while in college in PA about 40 years ago. He hambones while seated. It was more common to see that slapping combined with clogging when French-Canadian or Maritime music was performed. We had some pretty good fiddlers in the area when I was a kid, but most of that music died out with the old-timers that brought it to the region.

9. Oct 23, 2009 #8
    Cheered me up!

Thank you Borek.

10. Oct 23, 2009 #9
    ahh, that's the Polish version of American Idol

11. Oct 23, 2009 #10
    Małgorzata Foremniak :!!)

12. Oct 23, 2009 #11

Borek

13. Oct 23, 2009 #12

Borek

14. Oct 23, 2009 #13
    I'm just out of the loop, didn't know there was a "got talent series." Might have heard about it when Susan Boyle became famous, but then forgot about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook