Spring Constant from Best Fit Line - sqrt(m) versus T

In summary: If not, you can calculate it from the slope and uncertainty estimate.In summary, the spring constant for a pendulum with different masses is incredibly high. The goal of the lab is to determine the mass of an unknown mass, and this spring constant would make the mass 88 kg.
icefall5

Homework Statement

Construct a plot of T versus [itex]\sqrt{m}[/itex]. Fit a straight line through your data and use Eq. (3.2.3) to obtain the spring constant k from the slope, as well as an uncertainty estimate for k.

T is the period of an inertial balance with various masses of mass m. Periods are measured in seconds -- we measured 10 oscillations and divided by 10. Masses are measured in grams; mass was given for each mass.

Homework Equations

Eq. (3.2.3): [itex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving this equation for k gives [itex]\sqrt{k} = \frac{2\pi \sqrt{m}}{T}[/itex]. I graphed [itex]\sqrt{m}[/itex] on the y-axis, because with rise over run for the slope this makes sense. Then doing 2*pi times that number and then squaring that number gave me a spring constant of 167207, which is incredibly off (the equation for my trendline, done using Excel, is [itex]\sqrt{m} = 65.08T - 11.779[/itex]).

What am I missing? Thank you!

Attachments

• Graph-Data.png
    Graph-Data.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,237
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[strike]After tons upon tons upon tons of Googling, I determined that the spring constant is correct if the input mass is given in kg, not g. Dividing by 1000 gives roughly 167, which seems much more correct. Woohoo![/strike]

Not woohoo. 167 is still incredibly high for the spring constant. The ultimate goal of the lab is to determine the mass of an unknown mass, and this spring constant would make the mass 88 kg. I know that the mass was between 300 and 500 g.

Last edited:
What are your values? I mean, which value is mass and which is T? For example, what is 10 in the Excel table? A mass in grams, a period in seconds or the time for 10 periods?

Sorry for not specifying this initially. The top row is the values on the x-axis: the period T in seconds. The bottom row is the values on the y-axis: [itex]\sqrt{m}[/itex] in g. The masses were 100 g, 200 g, 300 g, 400 g, and 500g.

icefall5 said:
[strike]After tons upon tons upon tons of Googling, I determined that the spring constant is correct if the input mass is given in kg, not g. Dividing by 1000 gives roughly 167, which seems much more correct. Woohoo![/strike]

Not woohoo. 167 is still incredibly high for the spring constant. The ultimate goal of the lab is to determine the mass of an unknown mass, and this spring constant would make the mass 88 kg. I know that the mass was between 300 and 500 g.
167 Newtons/meter ≈ 0.95 lb/in .

I looked at your data and is not really following the pendulum formula with a constant k.
k seem to double when going from the small mass to the large one.
No surprise that what you get from the linear fit does not make sense.

If you plot 1/(4pi^2T^2) versus 1/m (the slope should be k) you can see that the points are not on a straight line.

the original statement asks you to plot T against √m.
This should give a straight line through the origin with gradient = 2π/√k.
Finding k should then be straight forward

Did you measure the spring constant directly?

1. What is the "Spring Constant from Best Fit Line" and how is it calculated?

The Spring Constant from Best Fit Line is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is calculated by finding the slope of the best fit line on a graph of the square root of mass (m) versus the period (T) of oscillation.

2. Why is the square root of mass used in the calculation instead of just mass?

The square root of mass is used because it is directly proportional to the period of oscillation. This makes it easier to plot a linear graph and find the slope, which represents the spring constant.

3. Can the spring constant be determined using any type of spring?

Yes, the spring constant can be determined using any type of spring as long as it follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress it, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and requires less force.

5. Can the spring constant change over time?

Yes, the spring constant can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and material fatigue. It is important to regularly check the spring constant to ensure accurate results in experiments and applications.