1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring Mass system where springs also have mass

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    hello all,
    this will be my third time posting this question, i thought perhaps posting in the homework section might have it be answered. Recently I have been attempting to model a spring system (see below) where the springs themselves will have mass. I should know how to do this but i accept defeat, how do you model the potential energy and force system on two masses connected to three springs? I have read about effective mass but i fail to fully understand. Thank you all for the celerity.
    _
    \
    /
    \
    [M1]
    /
    \
    /
    [M2]
    \
    /
    _\_

In this design the spring system is vertical and grounded on both ends. Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

well the potential would just be mgx+ 1/2k(x+δ)2 if you plan to use Lagrange's equations to get your equations of motion.

The center of mass of the spring would move down the distance x as well as the mass m.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook