1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs and masses connected together in a line

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So there are 4 masses in a line. They are connected by 3 springs between them, denoted by k_12 & l_12 (spring coefficient + natural extension length), k_23 & l_23, etc.

2. Relevant equations

Write down the f = ma equations of motion for all 4 masses.

3. The attempt at a solution

See my image.

This problem really annoys me because I always learn how to do it for the test but never remember. I think I've gone through 3 courses where this problem came up and every time I could never remember. Well now it's just a random exercise in a linear algebra text I'm reading and I wouldn't mind learning it right once and for all. After all I'm supposed to be an engineer.

Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well do you really need to memorize the problem? Besides, the time you do, someone will give you one with 5 or 3 masses, or springs with varying k :)

It's like this one only with four masses instead of two. (You could use the Hamiltonian or Lagrangian mechanics of course.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook