1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs - simple harmonic motion

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
    my question is: is there a way to find the work done to a spring when the only variable given is the distance (x)??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the pressure gauge, what work is done by the air on the spring?

2. Relevant equations
    W = 1/2kx2
    Fx = kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cant really attempt anything because i dont have k, its not given and im not sure how to find it??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

If it is a pressure gauge what is it you would expect such a device to do? Will it measure say something like the pressure of the air? When it does that will it give a reading? What work will the air have done to affect that reading from the normal state?

Is there a diagram and more to the problem or just a general question about what work air pressure does inside a gauge?
  4. Jul 13, 2008 #3
    The question doesnt give any other information so i think your right, they just want a general answer. thanks i was freaking out cuz they didnt give enough info!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?