1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root operation and scales

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    this is a strange problem easy to solve but I am having trouble understanding it intuitivly.

Assume we choose a location point and name it 0. Next, in arbitrary direction and distance we place the number 1. Hence, we have created a scale(number line) that extends as much as we like. Now we consider the square root operation(no need to state it). Suppose I choose a number thats hasn't a whole root... for instance lets choose 8.

Now consider this carefully: We take our scale and we stretch(by a factor of 8) so that the orgin remains unchanged but now what used to be 1 is 8 and what used to be 8 is now 64. Now if we take the square root of 64 we get 8. But heres the problem, we mark the place where 8 was the square root and we squeeze the scale back down to its original size only now the place we marked as 8 which was the square root is not at 1 but rather about 2.828

( I figured out that square root of 64 is 8 and square root of 8 when rounded gives 2.828)
    But this problem is showing something about the square root operation on different scales(on a scale transformation). If someone could help to understand the intuition here I would greatly appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2
    Your stretching transformation is linear, but the sqrt function isn't (just look at the graph y = sqrt x)

I think I understand what you're asking, but I'm rubbish with words >.<

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook